The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Default Slash Les Paul " Appetite " guitar.

Has anybody tried this guitar and if so what are your impressions? A local guy is selling one for 2500 Canadian. Its the USA version, not the VOS or whatever its called.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 PM

What nobody?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 AM

It may be tough to get an electric opinion from the acoustic folks here. I've not played one myself, so the only advise I can give is to try it out and see what you think. If you like the fit, feel, and tone then shoot for it. Which version of the AFD is it? I've seen them in the gold top, burst, and then the flame top but cannot keep track if the VOS, vs others. The only thing that chaps me is the fact that Slash used an LP copy by Kris Derrig on the appetite album yet Gibson is pedaling their AFD model like they were the brand used.

Chris
Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 AM

Exactly. The real AFD Les Paul wasn't even a Gibson at all. Just a really well made copy. I would love to have the AFD guitar Gibson has out now, but 2500 can get you a lot of different styles of used LPs.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 AM

I'm a huge Slash fan. I essentially learned the guitar by copying GNR riffs and solos and I own three Les Pauls.

As others have mentioned, Slash did not record AFD with a Gibson.

The current Gibson AFD Les Paul is nothing more than a standard Les Paul with a nice top but otherwise fairly standard specs, a funny looking headstock -- and the most significant "custom" feature, Seymour Duncan pickups.

I personally think it's too much of a gimmick, especially the little guy on the headstock. I would pay significantly more for my Les Paul not to have that design.

FWIW, I'd rather get an R8 and replace the pickups as necessary.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM

I forgot to add that I'm pretty certain there is more BC RICH on the AFD album than any Gibson. Another option you could look at is doing a STD Gibson model and upgrading to the Duncan AFD pickup set. (if you are looking for the slash sound anyway).
Old 08-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the replys. Ill probably save my money.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM

Get a hold of a LP that you find comfy and rings well acoustically then install the Slash pick ups from SD. His pickups are really not that hot. He likes the OD come from amp not the pick ups. He likes pick ups with clairity.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM

I agree with the guys here. Put a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro IIs in a Les Paul and you'll get close. The amp will make more a significant difference.

I have an Epi Slash with the Alnico Pro IIs in it. I bought it used just for the pickups. Though my Marshall Vintage Modern it sounds great.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremca View Post
I forgot to add that I'm pretty certain there is more BC RICH on the AFD album than any Gibson. Another option you could look at is doing a STD Gibson model and upgrading to the Duncan AFD pickup set. (if you are looking for the slash sound anyway).
I heard there was a Jackson he used on it and My Michelle was a SG. Just curious, what sounds non-LP like to you on AFD?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:31 PM

That is probably true. In the studio, these guys are using such a wide array of guitars. As far as being able to tell them apart, that is difficult for me to say. If I'm not mistaken, if he used the bc, Jackson, lp copy and the sg, all would have a humbucker configuration. Add the overdubs and my ears begin to lose the ability to hear the differences. Add in the amps into the equation and it then starts leaning toward the amp sound.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM

There is suppose to have been only one amp used for his rhythm and leads. Marshall has based his AFD signature model on it. No one knows what happened to the original but it was a modified 1959 Super Lead.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 AM

I like the recent ACE Budokan Les Paul Much, much more than the AFD! That Budokan is Super Bad ***!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCK85 View Post
Exactly. The real AFD Les Paul wasn't even a Gibson at all. Just a really well made copy. I would love to have the AFD guitar Gibson has out now, but 2500 can get you a lot of different styles of used LPs.
Tried original one in 90's. Very well built LP copy with great flamed top.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCK85 View Post
Ya this guitar is suppose to be an exact copy of his les paul 1959 copy that he did afd with. At least as close as they could get to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars