The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-18-2016, 07:05 PM

Default The Giant (Stan Rogers) -- Papilio

A few years ago our trio, Papilio, a celtic/world trad band, was asked to join in the "Singing Stan" show at StanFest, the Stan Rogers Folk Festival in Canso, NS. The idea is pretty obvious: all of the artists sing/play one of Stan's songs. We wanted to sing something that we liked but that no-one else would be doing so we picked one of Stan's original but to our minds often-overlooked songs, The Giant.

Over and above that we really liked the song, we thought we could do something new and different with it. It also didn't hurt that it played right into our connection to Nova Scotia and our interest in the story transported from the Old World to Bras d'Or Lake, the large inland sea at the center of Cape Breton Island.

Recently, we recorded the song and then chose to play it for our first video...

NB: I believe that this may be the first video to display of the use of slap harmonics on a bouzar, an 8-string tenor guitar masquerading as an Irish bouzouki...

Hope you like it!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Morning Phil, thanks for sharing - cool tune, nice arrangement and impressive production value! I'm not very familiar with Stan's music, but I promise to do some homework lest my Nova Scotian card be revoked
Old 10-23-2016, 01:17 PM

Phil, what a great cover! You're right, the Giant is one of Stan's overlooked songs. I listen to his live "Home in Halifax" a couple of times a month when I drive to Nova Scotia - great album.

You and your mates are very talented, Phil. Make sure you pass on the note to them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell