The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-14-2016, 09:03 PM

Default Headphone amp or preamp?

Hi group,

I'm primarily an acoustic player starting to branch out into electric territory. Recently, I was lucky enough to purchase a Fender American Strat and Fender Blues Jr amp. The only problem is I need a quieter way to play around family or when other things are going on. Does anyone have any suggestions for play only with headphones and either an amp, preamp or something similar I should look into?

Cheers
Old 10-14-2016, 09:21 PM

Look into a Weber headphone tap (HA-50) it will allow you to use headphones.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:30 PM

I picked up one of these (the RP 250) at a garage sale. Pretty darned awesome with headphones. It has the capability to plug in your ipod to "play along". They're under $40 usually on Ebay. Here's the RP 200 on youtube

Old 10-15-2016, 02:13 AM

any modeler will work...my preference for digital are vox tonelab or a Yamaha dg stomp...or even an amp plug

or you can do a small 2-8 channel mixing board with various analogue pedals...my fav is a JD 10 session master...which is also a great pedal

btw ime, the headphones are an important part...some headphones don't work particularly well or are uncomfortable for longer periods of time...I use old akg 240 cans.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:56 PM

Solid state amp like the Fender Mustang is what I use. (Has a headphone socket).
Old 10-15-2016, 07:55 PM

Reactive load -> computer audio interface -> Two Notes convolution cab sim is the way I do it. If you've got a computer set up as a DAW all you need is the load box (which you can DIY with about half a dozen parts).
Old 10-15-2016, 08:46 PM

During the winter I was using an EHX Headphone amp that had an adapter for plug in power for a while with my Strat. This works fine and can plug into anything that takes a line in with that plug or adapter.

What I use now is an amp sim pedal plugged into an old stereo, powered speakers or whatever. I've got a cheap Joyo American Sound pedal from China. Very useful as either an solid state amp or as an overdrive. Sounds better and you can do alot more with one of these compared to a head phone amp.

I rarely use them but this setup should work ok with headphones too.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffer View Post
Look into a Weber headphone tap (HA-50) it will allow you to use headphones.
I have one and it works great, can also be used as an attenuator. .

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 10-16-2016, 05:19 AM

I used to use an early model Korg Pandora as my dorm amp. I have been considering getting another one for when the kiddos are in bed.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:20 PM

keep in mind this is my first foray into the electric world. Do these run with the tub amp or independent?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:36 PM

A reactive load works with a tube amp. It takes the place of the speaker and gives you a line level signal.

The raw amp output is very harsh and so this has to be processed through a cab sim which mimics the low-pass filtering of a guitar speaker.

The good thing about this solution is that you capture all of the sonic character of your amp from input stage to output transformer. You can get to know the nuances of the same setup that you might want to play at a gig including the way that pedals interact with the amp. The sound quality can be very good.

(In case the youtube tags didn't work see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i770M9pM0_k)
Old 10-16-2016, 09:31 PM

You can pick up a Line 6 POD (there are dozens of models) for cheap. Another excellent little modeler box is the Atomic AmpliFIRE. Not cheap though. Finally, if you get a USB interface you can run your guitar through a DAW, use all the amp models and FX in the DAW to shape tone and then run headphones out of your computer.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 10-17-2016, 05:54 AM

Really, there's a million options.

what are you looking to spend on this?

do you also want something that will sound good with out headphones?

do you want something that has a lot of sounds to play with?

most of the smaller / home market guitar amps have head phone jacks built in.

Fender Mustang, Roland cubes, are popular choices, but honestly there's many options to choose from.

a few entry level options, both of these for under $150.

Roland

Fender

Go to one of the online super stores (sweetwater.com for example) and do some window shopping. Then just ask questions once you find a few things you are interested in.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:24 AM

Thanks for all the replies. At the moment I'm just seeing what my options are in the $100-$200 range. I really like the blues jr tube amp but wish there was an option for headphones. Lately Ive been considering the Vox pathfinder 10.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:34 AM

Blues Jr's a fine amps. but ya, no headphone

The Mustang and Cube are going to give you a lot of built in effects, and sounds to play around with. The Mustang uses FUSE which allows you to hook it up to a USB port on your PC and change / make presets. It's a great interface actually.. The mustang amps are a lot of fun, and have a lot of really good sounds on board. I have two, and I really like them a lot.

check out some of the demos and reviews.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars