The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM

Location: Charlotte, NC. It's cool but going to hell in a basket quick
Default Just got my Breedlove Revivial; need pickup advice PLEASE!!

Hello Gents (and Ladies),

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

I got socks and shirts (again) so I quickly rushed out and bought a new "back-up" axe, a Breedlove Revival DR-Deluxe and gave it to myself! Ha ha!

Anyway, this is the first guitar I've purchased without factory electronics, and I've read and reread almost every pickup thread here and am more frustrated than when I began. Here's the specs:

I am a heavy percussive rhythm player, doing a wide range of covers on stage in a solo and duo scenario. Newgrass, Rock, Blues, etc. I play in bars and restaurants 2 - 3 times a week.

Tone is king in my world.

I've budgeted up to $500 for pickup, preamp & installation.

I've narrowed it down to the following, but am open to other ideas, and am NOT hung up on a dual source system though the thought of a blend is nice:

Fishman Ellipse Aura
Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend
L.R. Baggs iMix Active
K&K PowerMix Pure
Schertler Dyn-G

I am most used to USTs and currently happen to love the sound of my ES 810ce Taylor.

I do NOT want to cut a hole in the side of my guitar.

I play through a Fishman Loudbox 100 and BBE Sonic Maximizer. Bit of reverb, no other effects.

I am not interested in a mic scenario on stage due to volume levels.

Any help, pros/cons of listed above, more to look at would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Hear me at: http:www.shadowofthehat.com

Breedlove Revival D-R Deluxe
Taylor 810-CE ES
Taylor T5
PRS Custom 22
Taylor Baby (the wife's, uh, my camping, guitar)
More gear & amps than I can haul
Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 PM

Kinda confused... I can only assume you got an incredible deal on the Breed w/out electronics... But still confused because $500 is likely the difference between the Breed with electronics...........? Just sayin...

Of all the pickup systems I've got on my guitars, I like the LR Baggs Dual Source
Preamp velcro'd inside and sound hole rim mounted controls. But its always a
personal preference... BTW, this Dual Source system enables a nice blend between
mic and UST.... So....? Maybe just mic this one...? you can get a pretty decent condensor mic for 5 hundo
'06 Martin OMC-15E
1999 Taylor 514-CE-AB 25th Anni
1989 Guild D-40
1987 Guild JF30-12 BLACK
2007 Eastman T184MX Classic
2009 Schecter Tempest Blackjack
1995 AmFender Tele - 60th Ann RW Neck SD pups
1991 Gibson 40th Anniversary Les Paul

Last edited by Jamler; 01-03-2008 at 08:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion