The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-02-2015, 11:23 AM

Default K&K Pure Western Mini COMBINED with Silver Bullet or Miniflex 2 mic?

I currently own a Pair of miniflex 2 mics (the one that DOES NOT require the use of the endpin jack the wire comes out the sound hole, And I have the one that uses the endpin jack and lives inside the guitar.

I have a DTAR Solstice on the way. I am going to purchase A K&K Pure western mini and am wondering if I should get the silver bullet mic with it as well.

Does anyone know if the MiniFlex will sound better than the Silver Bullet?

Sounds like I might be able to Have the Miniflex more involved in the mix because it is less likely to feedback as well.

THanks
Old 03-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikdogski View Post
I currently own a Pair of miniflex 2 mics (the one that DOES NOT require the use of the endpin jack the wire comes out the sound hole, And I have the one that uses the endpin jack and lives inside the guitar.

I have a DTAR Solstice on the way. I am going to purchase A K&K Pure western mini and am wondering if I should get the silver bullet mic with it as well.

Does anyone know if the MiniFlex will sound better than the Silver Bullet?

Sounds like I might be able to Have the Miniflex more involved in the mix because it is less likely to feedback as well.

THanks

Hi r-dog...

I started my K&K life with a simple Pure Mini and then added an internal mic on speculation, and it grew to 4 dual source K&K rigs with a Pure Mini and internal K&K Silver Bullet microphone.

Since you already own the mics, why not try it and see how it works.

For me external mics are never the best option because of the volumes I need to generate when I either perform or lead worship. Leading worship means not only keeping up with the band, but it means the band is loud enough to outplay several hundred people singing.

So depending on your needs, if you are already happy with the rig you have, and external mics work well for you, it would seem the natural progression would be to use one of your miniflex and test it out. If you decide to add a Silver Bullet instead, then the end jack of the K&K is prewired for adding one.

As of today (3-2-15) there is a discussion on K&K plus internal mic in this section of the forum where I added at least 4-5 files of recordings directly from a K&K Pure mini plus silver bullet mic (through a Pendulum PMB-I blender).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM

Thanks a lot Larry. I heard your recordings you are a blessing to this community.

Rarely do I see a post asking for help that you don't chime in if you have some experience with the question at hand.

Even if you have answered the same question before. Very gracious thanks.

The reason for getting the silver bullet mic right off the get go would be the cost difference. If I get the Trinity system it is about $170.

If I were to get the PWM (NO MIC) and then decide that MY MINIFLEX combination is leaving me wanting more I would be eating some money.

Looks like the mic is 130$ separate and the PWM is 99$. So 60 dollar difference.

Anyway.

I don't plan on using external mics my minflex is INTERNAL but it sits inside VIA elastic straps that hold it in place. Easily removeable and insterted. Doesn't use up the End Pin Jack space.

I think I'll just order the PWM and see what kind of results I get and risk wanting the Silver BUllet. Thing is I might never know what I'm missing. But that can be a very good thing sometimes as far as the ole pocketbook.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikdogski View Post
Thanks a lot Larry. I heard your recordings you are a blessing to this community.

Rarely do I see a post asking for help that you don't chime in if you have some experience with the question at hand.

Even if you have answered the same question before. Very gracious thanks.

The reason for getting the silver bullet mic right off the get go would be the cost difference. If I get the Trinity system it is about $170.

If I were to get the PWM (NO MIC) and then decide that MY MINIFLEX combination is leaving me wanting more I would be eating some money.

Looks like the mic is 130$ separate and the PWM is 99$. So 60 dollar difference.

Anyway.

I don't plan on using external mics my minflex is INTERNAL but it sits inside VIA elastic straps that hold it in place. Easily removeable and insterted. Doesn't use up the End Pin Jack space.

I think I'll just order the PWM and see what kind of results I get and risk wanting the Silver BUllet. Thing is I might never know what I'm missing. But that can be a very good thing sometimes as far as the ole pocketbook.
Hi r-dog
Have you checked out prices at Shoreline Music? They offer a discount to AGF members on top of already Great prices!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-02-2015, 01:45 PM

Just got off the phone with John. Couldn't have went simpler.

Ordered Dtar solstice last night and had him add 3 PWM pickups.

Gonna be fun messing with the new gear.

Thanks for the help again Larry.

Their prices are great and the 10% and no tax to my state just made it all even sweeter.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Trevor Gordon Hall uses a K&K and Miniflex 2 Mic combo and raves about it.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the REPLY WOW! Great to hear he's great to listen to.

Have a good one!!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:39 PM

I have a MiniFlex two mic but the one attached to a end plug. Would love to run a K&K mini in stereo but looks like its not possible.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-02-2015, 05:19 PM

Hey Double Neck.

I have both a model that uses the endpin to mount, and one that doesn't require the use of the endpin.

Just out of curiosity why do you say it's not possible? THe Miniflex doesn't have stereo jack? (I haven't looked at mine yet)

Also a way around the Miniflex that is attched to the endpin NOT BEING POSSIBLE, MIGHT be to Leave the Miniflex in it's normal spot in the endpin hole. So it's fully functional like normal.

Then attatch the Pure Western Mini under the bridge like normal, and run the wire out of the sound hole.

An idea I had so theres not some metal jack just hangin out of your guitar sound hole all the time would be to cut the wire and attatch a male/female connector on each end of the wire you cut. Then you could just unplug and plug in the Pure Western Mini and leave the excess velcroed inside the guitar, and put the jack side of the wire in your guitar case.

What gave me this idea was this.

http://shorelinemusic.com/collection...d-trinity-mini

See how that wire to the 3 transducers has a connector. that part could just hang in your guitar and JUST THE END PIN JACK would need to be plugged into it. Not all that other fancy mumbo jumbo in the pic. I'm talking JUST Pure Western Mini. Which would be this unit here.

http://shorelinemusic.com/collection.../k-k-pure-mini

Don't know if all of this is possible anyone know? Seems like no problem to me.

OR

Add a second Endpin Jack hole to just run the K&K through that.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I have a MiniFlex two mic but the one attached to a end plug. Would love to run a K&K mini in stereo but looks like its not possible.
Hi Dn,

If you have two sources, you can run them into separate channels depending on how your preamp/blender breaks them out. A DTAR Solstice will output discrete channels, and those could be reprocessed into a mixer and handled as two halves of stereo processing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 03-02-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Dn,

If you have two sources, you can run them into separate channels depending on how your preamp/blender breaks them out. A DTAR Solstice will output discrete channels, and those could be reprocessed into a mixer and handled as two halves of stereo processing.

I am putting pickups in this guitar for the first time. The end block has no drilled holes as yet. Wonder if it would be interesting to put two jacks in the end block. They could be evenly placed in line since I am starting from scratch? That way I would not have to keep worrying about how the two sources will react through a stereo end plug? I would have an options for the miniflex and the K&K each with their own jack to a mixer like the Dtar Solstice. And or other combos.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I am putting pickups in this guitar for the first time. The end block has no drilled holes as yet. Wonder if it would be interesting to put two jacks in the end block. They could be evenly placed in line since I am starting from scratch? That way I would not have to keep worrying about how the two sources will react through a stereo end plug? I would have an options for the miniflex and the K&K each with their own jack to a mixer like the Dtar Solstice. And or other combos.
Yup! That's pretty commonly done. You would definitely need to do this if you have something like a Miniflex Model 1. I think only the Model 4 allows you to wire a second pickup in stereo, but don't quote me on that.
Trevor Gordon Hall's setup is a K&K to one jack and the Miniflex to a second jack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification