The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 PM

Default my March contribution: Hem "When I Was Drinking"

Fun song to cover... love that band.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 03-02-2015, 07:13 AM

that was really good. i'm not familiar with the original, but it's a powerful song. i'll need to think about the lyrics some more. i thought the recording sounded great, and the vocals and harmonies were very fine.

i went and listened to the original, and i really liked it, and what you did with the arrangement. i expected the two to be more similar, and was pleasantly surprised by the differences. bit of a sad tune (not that there's anything wrong with that). nice work.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i went and listened to the original, and i really liked it, and what you did with the arrangement. i expected the two to be more similar, and was pleasantly surprised by the differences. bit of a sad tune (not that there's anything wrong with that). nice work.
I like melancholy. Thanks for the kind words.

I tend to approach covers by just playing by memory and not referencing the original song/arrangement... probably some of the arrangement differences are just due to poor memory.

I love adding harmony and creating my own lines. I resisted the temptation to add a third part.

Some of the lead vocal is off a bit on tuning, but I'm OK with it... I would have sung it more and gotten it right, but I only had a couple hours to do this yesterday between working on my original CD.

What's after "Karma Police?"

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 03-02-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
What's after "Karma Police?"
well, i'm working on a simple arrangement of "hard times" by gillian welch. it's a pretty tune that i always like, and it seems to sit pretty well on the guitar. i've got the bulk of it worked out.

i also am playing some dadgad tunes arranged by others, so i may try and work a couple up to where i can record them. that takes me quite a while.

i also keep wanting to get back to some schumann piano pieces i arranged but haven't practiced enough to play them. i ended up getting a little bit tired of them.

back to "when i was drinking", what do you think the last verse means?

But I'll raise a glass now, to you and me.
To to lift me higher so I can see
Which of these blessings are killing me.

that's cool that you are getting an original cd together, and i'm interested to hear about it, but that should probably be it's own thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell