The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2011, 10:08 PM

Default Guitar recommendation please...

Hi guys,

I'm delighted that my new project has taken off -- which means that it's time to pick up a new guitar. I'll be mostly strumming rhythm and singing while my partner will be playing guitar and banjo. We'll be playing through a PA in coffee shop / quiet bar settings. Mostly folk/country/grateful dead type music.

I'd like a narrow nut as I'm mostly an electric player. I'll be playing with a pick 100% of the time. I'm also very shape conscious as I have a lousy back/shoulder from years of bass and archtop playing. In fact, the depth of some of the smaller bodies is a pain for me -- so any of the big/deep shapes are out. My preference would be a shallow GS type shape -- light weight and comfy (although perhaps I wouldn't notice much of a difference if switching to a GC/GA -- I just don't know enough here yet but it seems like depth is more of an issue than size).

For the time being, I have been fiddling around on a friend's Ovation Legend LX that is a very *comfortable* guitar to play -- but I think I need to go a bit more traditional with this one.

I suspect that I will end up buying a Baggs pickup -- so I don't need built-in electronics.

I'm looking to keep 'er under $1000. I don't care too much what it says on the headstock -- but I kind of dig the way those Blueridge spotted pick guards look

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Might want to look at the Yamaha APX1200. Great small shape with a big sound. Very thin and comnfy. Also comes with Yamahas new pickup systmem which sounds really good. Also is pretty much in your range, price wise.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:01 AM

Default Spotted pickguards

No matter what kind of guitar you get, you can remove the existing pickguard with a hairdryer and replace it with a Greven Tor-Tis pickguard. They cost quite a bit, but are very fine. Do a Google search and you'll find them.

Removing a pickguard on a Taylor is impossible. Don't even think about it.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the response, Russ and JL.

I'll check out the Yamaha mentioned above. Are there models in the Eastman/Larrivee/Blueridge line up that I should be checking out?

Also -- out of curiosity, if I bump my budget to $2k are there some real gems that I should be looking at?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM

If you're going to amplify the guitar with a pickup, there's no need for the size of a GS or dreadnaught. Those guitars are both pretty thick, so they wouldn't help your shoulder. You could look at a Martin 000 size, which is less thick and will have a somewhat narrower neck (1-11/16). If that neck is still too wide, you might also see if you can find an older Gibson or Epiphone acoustic, which I understand had 1-5/8 or 1-9/16 nuts.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Well, I had the pleasure of visiting the LA Guitar Sales showroom today and must've tried 15 guitars. Larrivee, Martin, Taylor, Voyage Air... you name it. What a class act business. Absolutely wonderful.

After a solid hour of back-and-forth and back-and-forth, I ended up with a few guitars in the $1-2k range and a Blueridge BR43. Truth be told, I couldn't bear paying up for a pricier model when there was a Blueridge competing at a fraction of the cost (and that's not to say there weren't differences... it's just they seemed subtle enough where I wasn't going to sweat it).

I am blown away by the richness and ease of playing of this fine instrument...oh, and I'll reiterate how great the LA Guitar Sales folks are.

Cheers and thanks!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM

Congrats on the new Blueridge, and for making it out of Ted's shop so cheaply. Sounds like you made a good move, those solid top Blueridge guitars are amazing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion