The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 08:29 AM

I bought a BR-143A from Maury last September. No complaints. Great fit, finish, playability and sound. I like to give a guitar about a year to see if it’s a keeper but I’ll likely be hanging to this one.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 AM

I had a BR-63 for a few years.
It was a very nice guitar.
I played both the BR-63 and the BR-163 at that time and went home with the BR-63.
It held it's own against the BR-163 and was a lot less money.

The only reason that I sold it was because I was buying a lot of different Chinese make guitars at the time, looking for that "ONE".
Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 AM

I have the BR-163 kind of a poor man's OM-21. I have had it for just short of two years. It is well but lightly built and has sustain for days. I recommend them to anyone who asks.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 AM

I bought my first guitar a couple of months ago, a Blue Ridge BR-40. It played and sounded better than several more expensive guitars in the shop. The finish is excellent and very little set up was needed. I'm very satisfied with my choice and look forward to playing it every day.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:04 AM

I have been very interested in some of the Blueridge guitars I've seen recently. Of the few I've played, all sounded very good.

While I was dropping off a Martin to be repaired recently, I asked the luthier his opinion on the Blueridge guitars. He has worked on a few and said the build quality is good, though he prefers Eastman over Blueridge. While Blueridge guitars are very good for the price range, they will not maintain value. In 20 years, the Blueridge guitar bought now for $1000 may be worth $300.

I know of quite a few Bluegrass musicians who have switched from Martin or other brands to Blueridge because of the volume and powerful sound you get from the guitars.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 AM

I love my BR 63 AS. I've had it for 3-4 years.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:27 AM

Love my BR-140a. Only thing I did to it was put in a Colosi saddle and ebony pins. Got it from Maury in 2016.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

I have owned several Blueridge guitars and every one was a great guitar. I like the tone of Blueridge more than Eastman, and more than the Asian Guild guitars.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:09 PM

Hi, i’ve got a br-361. She sounds like a piano. Great guitars, truly!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:16 PM

Availability can be a factor.

I recently went to one music store specifically looking for either Eastman or Blueridge guitars, and they are no longer selling either.

The owner told me they stopped selling the Blueridge guitars because they could not make money on them. Customers can buy them online cheaper than dealers can buy them directly.

I've found two stores that carry a limited number of Blueridge guitars. I've only found one store within a two-hour drive selling Eastman.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:19 PM

I hope this link might help find dealers:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theu...tarforum18213/

Blueridge makes some exceptional guitars...
Old 03-21-2018, 03:36 PM

I own a Blue Ridge BR160. I love it. It is the Pre-War Martin D28 design. All solid woods. Very light weight. And, it booms. Great guitar!
Old 03-22-2018, 03:59 AM

I really like Blueridge. I had a BR140 that was great. Sold it to get a bit smaller BR143 and I like it as much. I always recommend Blueridge and Maury's, both are terrific!
Old 03-22-2018, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmex03 View Post
Went to a local shop that had them the other day. They did sound nice and I know this sounds shallow but something to me is off on the looks of the ones he had in store. The busy and cheesy headstock inlays and banners on several of the models, very plain rosettes and the cheap feeling tuners turned me off.

I realize its all about sound but it just looked like someone just said we gotta put something on that headstock so lets just throw random crap on it.

If going simple look, I like the natural finish and simple understated appointments done like the dreadnought jr, which I recently purchased from GC and still in my 45 day preview period.
Well said. I have played some , and some are very nice (I own a Recording King RP2 00, in the same general class - great values can be had). But I like the simple and understated look as well. To me there is a very fine line between great inlay work and 'too much'. Wendy Larrivee did great inlay work back in the day.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:24 AM

I adore my blueridge tenor. It's probably the best balanced guitar of all that I own. Incredible tone from a small body. Not too much dough, either.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion