The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2022, 08:02 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default D'Addario XS

I put three sets of lights on yesterday (Avalon, Furch and Pellerin). I took out the Furch tonight to practice and the strings were fine. Not too slippery, not too zingy. Good tone.

The packaging is decent too. The strings come in one sealed plastic bag that is actually easy to open by hand so you don't destroy the bead color chart.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-26-2022, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

I like them as well, they are great strings.

I would say I wish they would ditch the ultra fancy packaging and lower the price by $2 but I guess in reality it's like 4 cents worth of packaging either way
Old 09-26-2022, 08:49 PM

I've been using them on all my guitars of late. Less tension than the Martin Lifespan I have been using - which is a bonus at the moment.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I've been using them on all my guitars of late. Less tension than the Martin Lifespan I have been using - which is a bonus at the moment.
In another thread today, one person is also saying that the strings feel like less tension. But when I went to the D'Addario site the tension of XS medium was almost exactly the same as EJ17's.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=654614

I do not think that D'Addario would make a mistake in their stated tensions. But I also know that the Core string makes a huge difference. Roundcores are nearly the same tension, but feel so much easier to depress and bend. I think that is because round core is easier to depress than Hexcore.

So there is a possibility that the special alloys of the XS are the difference here?

So very interested to hear what are your thoughts TBman and Martingitdave....do both of you feel like these strings are easier to depress and bend?
Old 09-26-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
In another thread today, one person is also saying that the strings feel like less tension. But when I went to the D'Addario site the tension of XS medium was almost exactly the same as EJ17's.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=654614

I do not think that D'Addario would make a mistake in their stated tensions. But I also know that the Core string makes a huge difference. Roundcores are nearly the same tension, but feel so much easier to depress and bend. I think that is because round core is easier to depress than Hexcore.

So there is a possibility that the special alloys of the XS are the difference here?

So very interested to hear what are your thoughts TBman and Martingitdave....do both of you feel like these strings are easier to depress and bend?

XS are lower tension than the Martin strings. It’s about 5lbs difference I think. I think the XS Mediums are exactly the same as EJ17s. Elixir mediums sit in between those two.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I put three sets of lights on yesterday (Avalon, Furch and Pellerin). I took out the Furch tonight to practice and the strings were fine. Not too slippery, not too zingy. Good tone.

The packaging is decent too. The strings come in one sealed plastic bag that is actually easy to open by hand so you don't destroy the bead color chart.
My color selection was pretty simple, silver and black alternate

you running 92/8 PB's or 80/20's ?
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 09-27-2022, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Default D'Addario XS

I bought a 3 pack of XS PB Lights and installed a set on my Joel Stehr SJ. First impressions are quite favorable. I really like the sound and feel of these strings compared to the D'Addario EXP lights I used previously. Interested to see how they sound in a few months.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion