The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2003, 05:27 PM

Default I'm back for more advice (amp this time)

Greetings to all esteemed Taylor users. I visited this site late last year seeking advice for buying my son a Taylor. Ultimately, I bought a 414ce for my older son and Big Baby for my 14yo to learn with.

Now, I seek advice regarding an acoustic amplifier as a birthday gift. Something that would have synergy with the 414ce. He is not in a band but will want to play with other amplified acoustics among friends at college. He plays mostly modern rock and, oddly, country. He is fairly adept at both strumming and fingerpicking.

Ideas would be appreciated in the $200-400 range.

Does it make as more sense to look towards the used market as it does with higher-end stereo equipment market? I have realized great bargains with audiophile equipment, but know little of the guitar amp market. Would imagine it more prone to issues of equipment abuse.(?)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 4yanx; 06-25-2003 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:00 PM

Do a search here for UltraSound....several people recommend their amps (and the discussions will also have links to other amps too!)

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm -- Winston Churchill
Old 06-25-2003, 06:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

In that price range, the Marshall AS50R is hard to beat. It normally runs about $379, new.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-26-2003, 05:01 AM

I would invite you to take your son and his guitar to several stores to see what he likes. Not only will your son get the amp he likes best but you can make the gift even more special by making a day of it!

The Doc

4yanx, You should know that I am an amp manufacturer and if you have any questions about amplfication that are not answered here on the forum just give me a call at 888-308-1557
Old 06-26-2003, 11:39 AM

The Doc is not just any old amp manufacturer.

Ultrasound is one of the highest regarded amp manufacturers on this forum and used my many high-end guitar makers to demo their guitars due to it's natural sound quality.

If I were your son....first I'd be stoked that you were buying me guitar equipment..........but I'd be really happy with an Ultrasound 50DS2. I won't give an exact price but there are several respected online stores that sell that amp for about $70-80 more than your high range. A little stretch but many guys here will confirm that it would be well worth it. You can go to Ultrasoundamps.com to check them out, call Doc at the # above or go to quality online stores like samusic.com or guitaradoptions.com I don't work for any of these companies but I've been doing my research on acoustic amps and ultrasound really seem to stand out.

<>< Red ><>

814ce
USA Custom Strat (MY BABY! thanks Tommy)
PRS Singlecut (10-top with Paua birds)
Vox AD120
Ultrasound 50-DS?
Female Golden Retriever-Zoe
Male Golden Retriever-Rusty (aka Bad Bad Rusty Brown)
Old 06-26-2003, 11:40 AM

Oh yeah.......and my birthday is coming up if you'd like to adopt me............Dad!

<>< Red ><>

814ce
USA Custom Strat (MY BABY! thanks Tommy)
PRS Singlecut (10-top with Paua birds)
Vox AD120
Ultrasound 50-DS?
Female Golden Retriever-Zoe
Male Golden Retriever-Rusty (aka Bad Bad Rusty Brown)
Old 06-26-2003, 12:42 PM

Another vote for Ultrasound. I just got a 50DS2 about a month ago and love it.

www.guitaradoptions.com is where I got mine. Very nice to deal with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification