The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-24-2018, 12:23 PM

Default probably stupid question Re; veneer backing

I'm gathering stuff for my second build and I plan on a laminated neck with veneer between the Lamentations, but all of the long veneer I can find is either paper backed or "thin fleece". I assume I can get it wet and scrub the paper off with a scotch-brite pad (or something) but my question is, am I going to be able to remove the "thin fleece" backing from this veneer easily? What is the best way to get that stuff off of there?
Pic related
Old 02-24-2018, 12:37 PM

Have you tried veneersupplies.com?
Old 02-24-2018, 12:41 PM

Default good idea

Try this company lots of choices and a few retail stores around perhaps worth a trip.

https://www.woodcraft.com/

I used a maple cherry maple veneer stack as a center stripe in a cherry banjo neck. It makes a great center line to work from.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
I second this. Joe at veneersupplies.com has helped me with a few things. Great selection!
Old 02-24-2018, 05:31 PM

Nah just don't use that stuff with the backing. As others have mentioned there are sources.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Thank you sir, I got what I needed from them. Guitars really add up, $48 for 2 pieces of veneer but it'll go a long way, lamenations in the neck and purfling. Maybe even some marquetry, who knows. $100 worth of neck wood, $100 worth of back and sides, I still need a top, I was watching an adirondack top on ebay, but it went for $69 for a "AA" (my opinion on the grade). A little steep for my taste. Still need tuners, fretwire truss rod and 10 other things. Gonna have ......$800 in materials
If I was smart, I would go buy a nice $800 guitar, but.......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair