The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-24-2018, 06:36 AM

Default Martin D-16 Bridge Pin Size?

I need to replace the bridge pins on a 2011 D-16RGT. I'm not sure what size I need. Most places recommend 2A, but 2 places said most modern Martins take a 2A except the D16 series, which takes a 1.3.

Anyone on here replace them? What size did you use?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:56 AM
Guest 1928

For the most part Martin has used pins that are 5 degree taper and 0.220" at the collar since 1930, regardless of what the online tables say. The differences are whether or not they used slotted pins and how they treated the holes. It's varied considerably over time, generally with the fit getting less precise and the pins of poorer design.

IMO the best option by far is to fit solid pins by properly reaming the holes and and slotting the bridge to accept solid pins. I like pins from Antique Acoustics or Waverly.

I realize none of that answers your question, but it's the best solution for structure and avoiding future maintenance of the bridge plate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair