The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-30-2017, 11:39 AM

Default Ugghhh. A little dimple

Hi all,

I dont spend much time here in the repair section but here goes.

I have a Custom Shop 000-28 that i absolutely love was my first high end guitar. I made the mistake of getting a VIP tour of Nazareth and imediately ordered this guitar.

It is in pristine condition but I dropped a Snark on the top the other night and put a very small dimple in the finish. You can only see it in certain light but its one of those things where I know its there. I have been doing research and it seems a drop if CA glue and lots of careful sanding are whats called for here.

I ordered some medium CA glue and micro sandpaper from StewMac but still scared to do it myself. Should I? LOL

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:48 AM

Your 000-28 is finished with nitrocellulose lacquer. Cysnoacrylate is not an appropriate fill material in this instance.

When it comes to drop filling, it really pays to use a material that will polish up to match the surrounding finish. Cyanoacrylate is considerably harder than lacquer, so when it is leveled and polished, the resulting sheen may be rather more noticeable than you'd like. If you use a buffer on such a fill, it can also result in a teensy difference in level - just enough to be bothersome in reflected light. So when doing a deep fill, we may use cyanoacrylate, and after it is hardened, scrape it a thousandth or two below the surrounding surface, fill again with lacquer, then level and polish to get the best result.

Frank Ford

Last edited by Frank Ford; 10-30-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:50 AM

LOL Frank!

Thats like walking up to someone and saying "hey, I heard this great joke the other day" and then walking away.

Pray tell...what is my best option?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 PM

Living with it.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 PM

Get it done by a professional. Frank said it was nitro, that should tell you what to use for a drop fill, if you'd ever done a drop fill before. A Custom Shop guitar is not the place to start.

Not to leave you hanging, thickened nitro is usually recommended for drop fills in nitro. This is not a difficult repair, but it can go very bad very quickly.
et al
Old 10-30-2017, 12:42 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
I ordered some medium CA glue and micro sandpaper from StewMac but still scared to do it myself.
Fear can be often be negative emotion that prevents us from accomplishing great things and enjoying life, or it can be the thing that prevents us from falling off a cliff. In this case, it is the latter.

Most professional repairmen are not very good with finish touchup, and very few amateurs are. The odds of an amateur making it worse are about 9,999/1. The odds of making it much worse depend on how long it takes the amateur to throw in the towel.

That said, a good finish man can make it almost disappear with a lacquer drop fill. IMO it is not worth it. After having my new Klepper for about 5 months, I can point out two or three minor dings. My plan is to keep playing until I have a few more.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:48 PM

Sorry about the "tease." I had the "edit" box open when I got interrupted and had to walk away for a while. . .

Frank Ford
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM

I would try and just live with it as well, or take it to a pro. This stuff is really not easy to do and has the potential for serious screw ups making it far far worse then if you just left it, especially using CA.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:53 PM

The best thing to do is send it to me; then you'll never see that dimple again.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Love, live with, and own the dimple. Would you divorce your wife if she cut her arm and got a scar?
Old 10-30-2017, 04:52 PM

Now it's your guitar.. You can now proceed to play it like you mean it!

Love it for what it is. Its a musical instrument. Minor bumps and dings are part of it's life and reason for being.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:21 PM

My opinion is to do nothing to resolve this ding. There will be others, over time, and my analogy is that I don't have body panels on my car refinished if they get blemished. After some number of repairs like that, my car would be far less visually appealing than if it was allowed to mature in its own good time, and kept ALL of its original finish. No repair stays invisible over the long run, but the original finish will have the odd insults, but they won't be as big as what needed to be done to repair damage. I think.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
Your 000-28 is finished with nitrocellulose lacquer. Cysnoacrylate is not an appropriate fill material in this instance.

When it comes to drop filling, it really pays to use a material that will polish up to match the surrounding finish. Cyanoacrylate is considerably harder than lacquer, so when it is leveled and polished, the resulting sheen may be rather more noticeable than you'd like. If you use a buffer on such a fill, it can also result in a teensy difference in level - just enough to be bothersome in reflected light. So when doing a deep fill, we may use cyanoacrylate, and after it is hardened, scrape it a thousandth or two below the surrounding surface, fill again with lacquer, then level and polish to get the best result.
Could/would you use nail varnish on nitro? I tried it once, the result was OK but not great, due to differences in hardness.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:19 PM

Its not hard, just take your time, use nitro.

Here is one on my workbench today getting the neck drip filled

Steve

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-30-2017, 07:13 PM

Bet you could not see the dimple on this '61?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair