The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2017, 11:49 AM

I'm getting the sense that a parlor is not going to be the right go-to guitar for my style and purposes.
Maybe some day when I get a collection going : )
Thanks for all of the helpful feedback!
Old 05-12-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
I don't think there is a downside except some of the dreadnought crowd will think less of you.
Yes.

My question is, are you using a 12 fret or 14 fret parlor (parlour in Canada, eh) Prefer 14 fret for reason I won't go into. The Seagull Grand is 14 fret and is reasonably priced.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
I tried mine in a bluegrass jam....you can guess what that was like. I felt very insignificant. Switched back to my Guild dread.
I imagine that's true. But remember a parlor guitar wasn't built for that purpose.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 05-12-2017, 03:23 PM

To me a parlor is made for living room play... Sure you can put a mic or pickup on it. But it's still gonna sound like a small box.

I love my Alvarez Parlor.. But would much rather have my J-45 on stage any day of the week.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsky View Post
I would look for a Takamine New Yorker (that's what they call their parlour size).
I played a mahogany topped one once at a party that was just a perfect match to accompany my voice...
It was the guitar that set me off on my quest for a 00 hog top...

I tried a spruce top one in a store that was nice and balanced, a very serious instrument but nothing special unplugged...

I've tried several cedar tops (those seem to be the most common) and they did nothing for me (must be my playing style).

Every New Yorker I've played was well made and well set up, and they have a great reputation for stage guitars.
I have the Takamine GY93 New Yorker, although mine is the pure acoustic model. I would describe its delivery as polite and restrained; nice, but as you say, nothing outstanding. It does what it does. The spec for the low cost is impressive though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
live play, parlor guitar, parlor pick up