The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-08-2015, 07:39 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default CA Blade electric

I was playing the CA Blade electric today and thinking about how good of a guitar it is... and then found myself wondering why there aren't more CF electrics. What do you think? In my mind there would be more interest in CF guitars in the electric world than the typically more traditional acoustic world.

I'm not sure these guitars ever got past the prototype stage but they are great playing guitars with incredible sustain and good pickups and hardware. Not overly heavy, even though they are quite a bit more robust and solid than our CF acoustics. Interestingly, this guitar is quite loud acoustically. It has a hollow core and thinner top. I'm not sure how thick it is...
A few pics:

Old 12-08-2015, 09:18 PM

Wow, JR, other than the one in my guitar room, I haven't seen a Blade in ages. FYI, CA started producing the Blade shortly before they closed, under the "Composite Electric" name, selling them direct. Selling them direct didn't go over well with their dealers, but the model was sent to dealers, it was an instant hit. The first ones, like yours, had the removable back, but they quickly went to a solid back, and at winter NAMM 2010, they introduced them in solid, gloss colors. They even built a one-off gloss orange, "Blade Pro" with Les Trem vibrato bridge, and coil tap pickup switching. I ended up buying the whole booth, and would have kept the Pro had I known they would shut down 10 weeks later. Well at least I still have my standard.

Here are some photos of the Pro

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 12-08-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
No photos. A message pops up asking my to login to some external site as soon as I click on this thread. The message says

"A username and password are being requested .
Thanks, you should see the pics now.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:57 PM

I can see the photos.
Cool guitar.

One of the problems with CF electric guitars--well, the marketing of them--is the "electric world" is no less traditionalist than is the "acoustic world." One would think that that would not be true, but Ken Parker, for one, would be able to tell you otherwise.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:23 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Having bought into the CA hype with a purchase of a Cargo in March '08, then a GXi in Nov. '08, and very intrigued and satisfied with both, I was really into what CA was doing and remember the Blade's introduction. In fact, I first learned of it at the MacNichol's forum, still a prototype I think when Ellis Seal was posting there, and remember discussion that the Blade should fall under a banner for electrics, and iirc, I was involved in a thread suggesting that as an electric guitar, it should be branded as 'Composite Electrics' rather than the CA moniker. It's quite interesting that J.R.'s Blade is branded CE, whereas Ted's is branded CA. Which came first? Which became the official brand? I've never seen or played one in the flesh, but like other original CA designs, it's very cool and I have been curious about its feel and tone. I'm not into electrics enough to ever pursue a Blade, but it's nice to recall and see the great photos posted. That copper one looks incredible. Thanks J.R. And Ted, and for reviving the memory!

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-09-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:00 PM

I remember seeing those at the 2010 NAMM show, particularly the orange one that Ted owned. I made it a point to visit their booth, as I had just (a couple of month sprior) played a Cargo for the first time in Hilo, HI and at the Aloha Music Camp. II almost went back to Hilo Guitars and bought one that week, as their price was quite attractive. It was stunning when CA suddenly closed their doors just a couple of months later.

JR, I suspect that the reason the Blade did not catch on was a question of price point, aggravated by CA closing their doors shortly thereafter. Even for an electric guitar, using CF is not cheap. And CF mostly gives us less humidity sensitivity for the large surfaces on acoustic guitars. That is less of an issue with solid body guitars.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:10 PM
Guest 928

Price point may have figured heavily in the light sales. It might also be the case that there is an incredible body of wooden electric guitars available in just about every shape and color.

I think there is an Israeli CF electric guitar maker, but I don't remember the name.

I've always thought that a Danelectro-like thin-body electric would be a killer instrument.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
...In fact, I first learned of it at the MacNichol's forum, still a prototype I think when Ellis Seal was posting there, and remember discussion that the Blade should fall under a banner for electrics, and iirc, I was involved in a thread suggesting that as an electric guitar, it should be branded as 'Composite Electrics' rather than the CA moniker. It's quite interesting that J.R.'s Blade is branded CE, whereas Ted's is branded CA. Which came first? Which became the official brand?
Larry Amy did listen to the guys at the CF forum, and went with Composite Electric initially. I thought it was a mistake, given the name recognition of CA, and in fact shortly after launching they did go back to the standard CA logo. So CE came first, and CA was the official logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
...I suspect that the reason the Blade did not catch on was a question of price point, aggravated by CA closing their doors shortly thereafter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Price point may have figured heavily in the light sales...
As noted already, sales were anything but light, once Larry let dealers handle the sales. The guitar was an instant hit, and we sold everyone we could get our hands on, but we have to remember that this was at a time when CA was a hot brand.

As I recall, the street price of the Blade was $1100, which certainly helped with sales, but it was probably to low for the company. Like the Cargo and the OX, if the Blade was being built today, the price would probably need to be closer to $2000, a tough price point for an electric.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:22 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Ted, thank you for the pics of that Blade pro and the history. I had never seen those before. I like all the improvements and that Trem is neat looking - kind of like a neo-futuristic-Bigsby... that's the first time I've seen that. Do you have any pics of your standard? Is it finished like the pro version?

Acousticado - Interesting history - thank you. I'm glad I have one of the "CE's" now.

I just can't see how these wouldn't sell, even at a higher price point. As Ted said, once they turned them over to dealers they had the chance for them to take off. Great guitars, anyway.

JR
Old 12-09-2015, 11:31 PM

Too cool! Unique and beautiful.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Ted, thank you for the pics of that Blade pro and the history. I had never seen those before. I like all the improvements and that Trem is neat looking - kind of like a neo-futuristic-Bigsby... that's the first time I've seen that. Do you have any pics of your standard? Is it finished like the pro version?
CA had big plans for the Blade, different finishes, pickups and more were coming, but the funding ran out.

My Blade was one of the last ones shipped, came to me with a hole at the top of the head stock caused by the screw in the TKL case they shipped them with. (see pic) This happened often enough that I actually started removing, and modifying those screws before shipping the guitars off to customers. Since there was no one at CA handling warranty, I ended keeping this one for myself.

Here are some pics I snapped with my iPhone this morning.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:08 PM

What an interesting CF guitar! Great photos too.

When my wife saw the photos of the Blade you saved, Ted, her eyes popped and she exclaimed "that's a stunning guitar". She said it would look great in our house.

Really? What more incentive do I need? She has impeccable design taste and I almost always defer to her judgment in these murky matters. Except when it comes to getting another cat, but that's another story.

Reading your posts really piqued my curiosity too. It's like a Greek Tragedy: young and promising, but sadly cut short in its prime.

After more research, and realizing these were made only for a few months before CA suddenly closed their doors in 2010, I was absolutely shocked to find a CA Blade for sale online. Exactly like the one you saved, Ted.

It should arrive in a few days. I might install the SD Triple Shot mounting rings in order to split the humbuckers to get some single-coil tones. If I don't bond with the Blade in a musical sense, no problem: it will look great hanging on the wall! Thanks, baby.

Jon in VA
Appreciative Rainsong owner
Old 12-17-2015, 10:50 AM

Fantastic, Rep! We will of course need pictures once you have it.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:45 PM

Will try to post pics soon. Sure enough it's a dead ringer for the one Ted saved (pictured above).

The Blade arrived a few days ago. A few observations:

1. It sustains very well.

2. I've not experienced this much acoustic resonance in an electric guitar until now.

It's sustain and resonance might be due to any number of factors: the one-piece neck/body, the carbon fiber construction, Wilkinson wrap-around bridge, the fact that this is a hollow guitar (even the neck), or a combination thereof. Who knows.

3. The SD 59 and JB humbuckers seem well suited. All sorts of sounds can be dialed in, from jazz to blues, rock, country, and even metal I would guess. Plugged into my Fender Blues Jr. amp it just sounds fantastic. In some ways better than my Ibanez AS-103, Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II , or my Fender HSH American Standard Stratocaster.

4. Another cool thing is that I can practice out on the front porch, unplugged, without being heard by the nearest neighbors ... and it doesn't lose tuning from changes in humidity or temperature. It has decent acoustic tone. While it doesn't project as loudly or richly as an acoustic guitar, it's still a pleasant unplugged experience.

I wonder if Peavy, or anyone else for that matter, intends to make an affordable electric CF guitar. The Blade wasn't in production long enough to develop a strong following, although the price was right. A one-piece hollow body CF guitar like this surely has a market. I would love to see the idea resurrected at a sub-$2,000 MAP price point, if that is still possible given what goes into building something like this.

Sweet axe!
Old 01-17-2016, 11:14 AM

I did 2 videos of this critter when they first came out... I liked it a lot
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, composite acoustics, electric guitar