The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2015, 07:54 AM

Default Best Acoustic Strings??

For the past 10 years I have used elixir nano web. I just can't stand them anymore and want to find something with a warmer tone. I have a relatively heavy strumming hand and my two main acoustics are a Martin D-15m and a Taylor 814ce. Do you guys have any suggestions that might give me that warmer sound?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Guest316

Hi evanbutton and welcome to AGF!

No human being in the history of mankind is able to make a string decision for a guitar. The choice is entirely the guitar's. And your Martin and Taylor may have different preferences.

Since you would like a warmer sound, I would start with John Pearse PB Lights and see if your instruments like those. If they reject Pearse after a two-week tryout, don't get discouraged: move on to something else. Sometimes finding the right string that keeps your babies happy is a process that takes months! But they're out there, I swear!
Old 08-01-2015, 08:06 AM

Go big. Try some Martin Monel Retros. You'll love them or hate them but you'll know in a few days.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:07 AM

I have found Martin lifespans and especially DR Sunbeams to be the best for my OM-21. I am not all that big a fan of elixirs.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:07 AM

As Mark Said, there is no "best acoustic strings" overall. It will depend on the guitar, on your preferences, how you value sound vs. feel vs. durability vs. value.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 08-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Go big. Try some Martin Monel Retros. You'll love them or hate them but you'll know in a few days.
I may be wrong here, but I think if you put Martin strings on a Taylor there's a chemical reaction that often results in an explosion.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I may be wrong here, but I think if you put Martin strings on a Taylor there's a chemical reaction that often results in an explosion.
Not if you put them on using the Taylor Method.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanbutton View Post
For the past 10 years I have used elixir nano web. I just can't stand them anymore and want to find something with a warmer tone. I have a relatively heavy strumming hand and my two main acoustics are a Martin D-15m and a Taylor 814ce. Do you guys have any suggestions that might give me that warmer sound?

Thanks
Hi evanbutton…

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum! Glad you jumped in and started a thread…

Are you using the Elixir Nano Phosphor Bronze or 80/20? (You didn't say which)

I generally find that phosphor bronze are warmer than 80/20 (in any string brand), and that a heavier pick on a path more over the sound hole warmer than a thinner pick and a path closer to the bridge.

There are a lot of string choices as far as brands, but not a lot of different formulas. I'm sure you will get everybody's favorites in a thread like this. The reality is what strings sound like for you on your guitar.

Pretty cheap experiment guitar-gearwise. You have to have strings to make them work, and most decent strings cost between $6-12 a set. And if they are non-coated, unless you just play em till they go "thud", you will get to try a set a month.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks
Welcome!

Lots of good choices out there. I'd recommend trying the GHS Silk and Bronze strings - Wonderful warm tone with no sacrifice of volume or articulation. Highly recommended.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-01-2015, 08:29 AM

Elixirs are some of the most metallic, bright and unatural sounding strings Ive come across, no surprised of your opinion .... except, why did it take you 10 years to realise it ?

Warm, natural tone, try DR Sunbeams or Pyramids.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 08-01-2015, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the phosphor bronze nanos. A .7 pick towards the back of sound hole.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Elixirs are some of the most metallic, bright and unatural sounding strings Ive come across, no surprised of your opinion .... except, why did it take you 10 years to realise it ?

Warm, natural tone, try DR Sunbeams or Pyramids.
I've heard good things about the Pyramids. I'm a younger player (17) and stuck with the elixirs for so long because it's what I started out with and got used to them. Even with the coating, I only get about 2 weeks out of them before they're dead or they break. I fear that with non-coated strings I'll be changing them after every gig and spend $50 on strings a week!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:18 AM

Sometimes it's all about the right strings for the right guitar. Put your favorite strings on another guitar and it might not work.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 AM

My guitars take what I give them. And they like it or else.

No best, but I buy D'Addario EJ17s 10 packs at a time and I use em.

hunter
Old 08-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've heard good things about the Pyramids. I'm a younger player (17) and stuck with the elixirs for so long because it's what I started out with and got used to them. Even with the coating, I only get about 2 weeks out of them before they're dead or they break. I fear that with non-coated strings I'll be changing them after every gig and spend $50 on strings a week!
hi eb…

You probably would be changing non-coated strings more often, but once you settle on a string, buy them in bulk or on sale, and you'll be fine. I buy D'Addario phosphor bronze in bulk packs for about $4 set.

When I went through a phase of non-coated only strings, I got really quick and efficient at changing strings (about 6 minutes a set). It's still a lot of work when you have multiple guitars.

It's worth trying a variety of different strings just to see what matches your personal style and chemistry. I don't find alleged tone nearly as predictable as some claim, nor certainly as magic as some insist.

There are Elixir lovers who hate non-coated strings because of their tone, and non-coated players who hate Elixirs for their tone and longevity. There are Pearse lovers who love the tone and deplore the fact they die in hours, while others claim weeks from playing Pearse strings.

Some play only Martins because of the thin tone of the D'Addario, and others avoid Martin because of their bad tone. Others avoid both Martin and D'Addario strings and feel better about paying $10-15 set for more exotic strings.

There is a lot of 'personal' wrapped up in string choice.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
elixer, martin, strings, taylor, warm