The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2015, 02:26 PM

Question J-45 Wine Red and Iced Tea

Hey guys, question for you.

I was set on buying a J-45 standard, but i've discovered the Wine Red limited and the Iced Tea limited.

So, are they the exact same guitar, just with different colored tuners and a spiffy paint job? Part of me says that's a steep fee for a cool color, but the other part of me says "oooooh collectible."

I've played multiple J-45s at different stores, so I know about the quality differences. Is there a specific online store you would use? I've had a few successful transactions with Sweetwater and Musicians Friend.

www.facebook.com/coreyshieldsmusic
Old 04-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Guest 728

I would only buy a guitar for its potential collectibility if it was already old. Get the limited color just because it's cool. I love the wine red.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:45 PM

Very nice. Gibson certainly do the best paint jobs don't they?

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 04-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Guest2145

I wouldn't mind trying out the translucent brown/burgundy one with the flamed maples b/s. I fear it may be too bright and thin sounding though. Musiciansfriend did a video review you can find on youtube or their site.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyshields View Post
Hey guys, question for you.

I was set on buying a J-45 standard, but i've discovered the Wine Red limited and the Iced Tea limited.

So, are they the exact same guitar, just with different colored tuners and a spiffy paint job? Part of me says that's a steep fee for a cool color, but the other part of me says "oooooh collectible."

I've played multiple J-45s at different stores, so I know about the quality differences. Is there a specific online store you would use? I've had a few successful transactions with Sweetwater and Musicians Friend.
I would advise you to play any acoustic guitar you're considering. They can vary wildly.

The finish won't make it collectible.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-20-2015, 04:21 PM
Guest316

Here's the thing about Gibson Acoustic these days: From the least expensive to the most expensive instrument, there is virtually no difference in the quality of workmanship or materials. With little exception, the playability and tone of the least expensive Gibsons (which fall in the $1600 to $2000 range) and the most expensive are of the same quality. Tones of course will be different based on body style, tonewoods and bracing - but the quality is the same. They all come out of the same boring factory off of the same boring assembly line assembled by the same boring craftspeople - the same boring heated bucket of hide is used to glue the neck of the most expensive J-200 and the humble little J-15 or 29. And most likely by the same person.

Where you see a difference in price is in marketing (signature models), bling (like "Doves In Flight"), interesting colours (like the J-45s you're looking at) or heritage (banners like the J-35, or the TV series).

So it depends what you want in a Gibson. If you're after something that you can play and enjoy the rich tone, and you're not necessarily interested in its appearance so much, I would say that the least expensive can match the most expensive for your needs. But to many people the appearance of their instrument is very important, too - and that's fine - and that's where Montana Gibson makes its money.

So OP it's your choice. If you would like the colored J-45, that's fine. But if you get the Standard you are not receiving a compromise in either quality or workmanship.

Goodallboy is correct that you should play it first however . . .
Old 04-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

There are hundreds of limited edition J45s. I don think any color makes them collectible. As a matter of fact, for resale, you can't do better than a plain burst on a Gibson.

So, with that out of the way, buy the color you like, with the sound you like, and if you are buying online, buy light guitars weight-wise, and enjoy the Gibby Magic.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:02 PM

Thank you guys. I knew you would provide me with useful info!

www.facebook.com/coreyshieldsmusic
Old 04-20-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Here's the thing about Gibson Acoustic these days: From the least expensive to the most expensive instrument, there is virtually no difference in the quality of workmanship or materials. With little exception, the playability and tone of the least expensive Gibsons (which fall in the $1600 to $2000 range) and the most expensive are of the same quality.
In my limited experience, I would disagree. I've played some standard Gibsons, most of which were duds. And played a couple of high-end shop customs that were amazing.

Small numbers. Make of it what you will.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 PM

!!!hijacking thread!!!

What is the difference with the epiphones j45 and gibsons? I have beginners ears, can't tell difference from A to F..
Old 04-20-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
There are hundreds of limited edition J45s. I don think any color makes them collectible. As a matter of fact, for resale, you can't do better than a plain burst on a Gibson.

So, with that out of the way, buy the color you like, with the sound you like, and if you are buying online, buy light guitars weight-wise, and enjoy the Gibby Magic.
This matches up with my own experiences with them.

Corey, as a general rule of thumb, any time a guitar company plays specifically on a limited edition guitar series being "collectible," you need to take that with a large grain of salt. It's kind of like the Franklin Mint: they're in the business of cranking out "limited edition collectibles" on a daily basis.

Themissal has it right: choose the guitar you like on whatever basis makes you like it, but ultimate collectibility depends not on anything the Gibson Guitar Company says or does, but rather by how any given guitar series happens to take the public fancy. Nobody has any control over that, and it often takes decades to develop, anyway.

So, as has been said, choose the one you like for whatever reason you like it. Don't worry about collectibility, because none of us (including Gibson) knows diddly-squat about how that's going to develop in the years to come.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
In my limited experience, I would disagree. I've played some standard Gibsons, most of which were duds. And played a couple of high-end shop customs that were amazing.

Small numbers. Make of it what you will.
I won't disagree with your personal experience because "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as they say. The Gibson sound is not for everyone. But I think consensus here at AGF, especially in the last 18(?) months, is that the less expensive models are very, very nice, starting with the J-35 .and then the J-15 and now the J-29. All of these models are under the $2000 mark and are making quite a splash, with a lot of positive reviews.I think consensus out on the 'net is the same. I can't vouch for my friends, tho - none of them play Gibsons. My instrument, a Hummingbird Pro, is in the $2200 range and is the equal of any other Gibson I've worked with on stage (B-25, J-50, J-45 and J-200 through the years. J-45 and J-200 were borrowed).

But, like i said, beauty is in the ear of the beholder. If someone plays a monster J-200 and then picks up a lil' ol' Keb Mo there definitely is a difference, but which one of those is better is a matter of personal taste. However, the quality of the build is the same - or should be lol.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I won't disagree with your personal experience because "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as they say.
Fair enough. I won't disagree with your experience either. Particularly if you're into comparing J-200s and Keb Mos.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Check out Wildwood Guitars in Louisville CO. http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/ good people there.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1tanobey View Post
!!!hijacking thread!!!

What is the difference with the epiphones j45 and gibsons? I have beginners ears, can't tell difference from A to F..
One is made of plywood

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, j45