The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleGibby58 View Post
Shubb. Have used the same ones for about 30 years, never a problem
or part replacement. A slam dunk no-brainer to me. They work very well.
I am a recent Shubb convert. I picked up one each for both of my guitars and banjos. They are the best I have used. Previous user of Dunlop and Kaiser trigger capos along with Paiges and some others.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesyRob View Post
G7th Performance 2 or PW NS. I have both and they work great. I also have a Paige that I really like. I don't use spring-loaded capos anymore.
BluesyRob, I see you have a Jim Dandy guitar and a Paige capo. Can you tell me whether this capo fits behind the nut for storage on the Jim Dandy? I can't seem to find the Paige locally to try it out.

Thanks much.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:33 PM

There is no best!!!!! Just what you prefer.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
Welcome to AGF! Elliott Elite is the best capo IMO.
I've owned several of these over the years. Great capos. I have one for each instrument (guitar, banjo, and rarely, mandolin). As stated, I hardly ever use a capo for mandolin. I should mention I'm a bluegrass musician. There are several Elliott inspired capos on the market now. Even Shubb makes one.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:09 AM

Shubb for me everytime. I also have an early G7 but much prefer the Shubb.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 11-25-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
There is no best!!!!! Just what you prefer.
I love Shubb capos but I use a Paige on one guitar and a Kyser on another one.
There are reasons for multiple capos.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:02 PM

The best anything is always a can of worms here.

Best for what? Quick changes? Staying in tune? Weight? Price?

The best I've found for me is the Elliott. It's very light and I don't need to re-tune the guitar after applying the capo. The lack of re-tuning was worth the price for me, but it might not be for you. Some fine players simply don't mind lowering the 6th string a bit and living with the rest.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

One not mentioned so far is the Thalia. It has fret pads that correspond to the fret radius of the guitar. I have found it doesn't go sharp, and it doesn't have to be dead on the fret, which helps when I do B7th shape chords, my hand doesn't hit the capo, or better stated, since I can move the capo slightly away from the fret the capo doesn't interfere with my hand. And, they look great, and I have engraved the two that I have. I like others also, but gravitate to the Thalia, not cheap for sure, but on a par with Elliotts and others.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Zero

I prefer a Zero

1. Doesn't weigh anything
2. No cost to buy.
3. Doesn't put my guitar out of tune
4. No adjustments to make
5. Positions itself on the neck perfectly every time
6. Don't have to remember where to put it for every song
7. Works for all my instruments.
8. Never gets lost or breaks.

If in the future I achieve the level of all the superstars that use another brand. I will then consider using some other brand.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:22 PM

Default The Best Capo

Shubb. The most important benefit being that it seems to pull the strings out of tune less than other capos. I occasionally use a Paige, but 80% of the time am a Shubb guy.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:14 PM

I just got in a couple of ENO capos. Prior to them I was using a g7. It was alright but I could never get it set properly to avoid the dreaded buzz. The eno is a great capo that puts even pressure across the strings. It even has a pin puller for changing strings.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:03 PM

The best capo is the Elliott Elite, IMHO. Can be ordered to fit a guitar's neck profile and nut width. Can be easily adjusted to the guitar's fretboard radius, and this can be pre-ordered as well. (Mine fit the guitar neck well enough that I can capo as far up the neck as I desire.) Holds the strings securely so they don't slip, even with heavy bending. Doesn't muffle or change the tone. With practice, can be put on the guitar very quickly, and in such a manner that re-tuning is minimal, or even not required. Is lightweight, and has a small footprint, so it doesn't get in the way of your hand, nor will it bust a hole in the top of your guitar if you drop it.

Everything else is either a copy of some kind, or an early attempt at a similar design, or else tries to function like the Elliott, but fails in one way or another. It may not be a quick change type of capo, but while you are still messing around, re-tuning after all the strings went sharp after using a Kyser or Shubb, I'm already done, and ready to play. Speed is relative.

Speaking of something relative, such as the expense (in comparison to the rest of the pack), I'll bet there would be a whole lot of converts from other capo brands if it cost less. However, expensive is just a way of looking at something, especially for an accessory that might actually change the way you play the guitar, and will probably outlast you. Skip three large pizzas and one movie night with your mate in the coming month, and it's paid for.

Man, that all sure sounds arrogant, doesn't it? EEK! But hey, there's Stones fans and then there are Beatles fans. Such is life in the big city. Remember brothers, I'm a humble guy. Just a big Elliott fan. It's allowed.

That's my personal noise coming out of the Appalachian mountains. Best of luck.

... JT
Old 11-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

I own a lot of capos, but I keep going back to my Planet Waves NS Tri-Action capo. IMO there are two things that set it apart from my other capos:
  • My guitars remain in tune when this capo is attached anywhere on the neck.
  • This is the only 'full size' capo I own that I can use as a drop-D capo (applied from the treble side at the second fret, and covering strings 1-5) without getting string buzz on the high-e string.
This is a great capo, and for $16 it's a wonderful value.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-08-2018, 01:22 PM

Default Shubb F3

I know there's been a lot of buzz around the G7th Heritage & it looks like a very good capo, but I personally have come to like the Shubb Fine Tune very much. Full disclosure I've been a Shubb user for decades & have many original & (recent) deluxe models in my capo *collection*.

I recently treated myself to the F3 as all my guitars have 1 3/4" nuts.

[IMG][/IMG]

As you might imagine, its a nicely crafted piece that feels solid & substantial in your hand. This capo is not cheap & feels more like a piece of fine jewelry than the guitar accessory it is. That said, the quality matches my new Custom Shop 00-18 quite well. :-)

[IMG][/IMG]

It is very smooth going on or off & I have really come to appreciate the numbers on the tightening knob. It helps to efficiently bring the capo to tension as I move it up & down the neck & also gives me a starting point moving from guitar to guitar.

[IMG][/IMG]

I did some quick "testing" & have found this type of capo seems to keep the strings pretty close to tune across the board, E to E.

I like this capo a lot! Unfortunately, it will remain on the home-based music stand as I really don't want to lose such a costly accessory.

Bottom line? Its exactly what you should expect from Shubb, a quality crafted, precision built, gorgeous capo that works exactly as intended.

Take care,

Frank

Last edited by fwphoto; 04-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

'The Best Capo' is whichever one you like the best.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, capo, capo's, d'addario, newbie