The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 PM

Default Parlor vs. "travel" guitars for travel, kids

I know there's plenty of information here on both parlor guitars and the typical travel guitars (Baby Taylor, Little Martin, etc), but I was wondering what would be the advantages and disadvantages of each for use both as a travel guitar (to include air travel) and teaching kids.

I've read a decent amount about budget parlor guitars such as the A&L Ami, Seagull Entourage Rustic Grand, and budget travel guitars such as the BT, LXM/LX1, GS Mini and others. I'm interested in getting a budget, small guitar (smaller than the Mini) for both uses listed above. What are your thoughts on whether a parlor guitar or one of the typical travel guitars would be better for such applications?

Note: While I've not played any parlors, I have played the BT and LXM/LX1. While it seems most online opinions give the Little Martin the nod over the Baby Taylor, every time I've A/B'ed both, I've liked both the sound and feel of the BT.

Also, I am currently living in South America, where there are VERY limited selections in guitar stores, so I would have to order online, which I know is far from ideal. However, I am able to order online and ship to APO for U.S. prices.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briluster View Post
I know there's plenty of information here on both parlor guitars and the typical travel guitars (Baby Taylor, Little Martin, etc), but I was wondering what would be the advantages and disadvantages of each for use both as a travel guitar (to include air travel) and teaching kids.

I've read a decent amount about budget parlor guitars such as the A&L Ami, Seagull Entourage Rustic Grand, and budget travel guitars such as the BT, LXM/LX1, GS Mini and others. I'm interested in getting a budget, small guitar (smaller than the Mini) for both uses listed above. What are your thoughts on whether a parlor guitar or one of the typical travel guitars would be better for such applications?

Note: While I've not played any parlors, I have played the BT and LXM/LX1. While it seems most online opinions give the Little Martin the nod over the Baby Taylor, every time I've A/B'ed both, I've liked both the sound and feel of the BT.

Also, I am currently living in South America, where there are VERY limited selections in guitar stores, so I would have to order online, which I know is far from ideal. However, I am able to order online and ship to APO for U.S. prices.
I have a preference towards parlor as travel guitars tend to have more modified fretboard sizes that are generally not the standard and they will have to adapt to the bigger size frets when they get older. Parlors generally have standard fret sizes but they're smaller guitars and easier to hold.

I've got an Art and Lutherie Ami and it's the best money I've spent on a guitar. Since it's the beater, I take it out more often than my fancier Martin and Takamine and it still sounds great.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Is it a high humidity area?

If yes, have you considered the CA Cargo?

It takes a little getting used to, because it is very small, but it is a great guitar.

Huss and Dalton T-0014
Collings I35LC
CA Cargo
Simon and Patrick Parlor
Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sike View Post
Is it a high humidity area?

If yes, have you considered the CA Cargo?

It takes a little getting used to, because it is very small, but it is a great guitar.
Yes, I am (currently) living in a very high humidity area. Honestly, if money were not an issue, a Cargo is what I'd prefer, at least based on what I've read/seen/heard of them. However, both financial constraints and the fact that I don't consider my skill good enough to warrant a $900 purchase would likely keep me from truly considering a Cargo anytime soon.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Tarts View Post
I have a preference towards parlor as travel guitars tend to have more modified fretboard sizes that are generally not the standard and they will have to adapt to the bigger size frets when they get older. Parlors generally have standard fret sizes but they're smaller guitars and easier to hold.

I've got an Art and Lutherie Ami and it's the best money I've spent on a guitar. Since it's the beater, I take it out more often than my fancier Martin and Takamine and it still sounds great.
As far as the fretboard sizes of the standard travel guitars being smaller, I don't think I'd consider that an issue at this point. My daughters are 8 and 5 years old, so it'd be a number of years before they'd ever step up to a full size (or even 000/OM) guitar. That said, I've heard great things about the Ami's.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am (currently) living in a very high humidity area. Honestly, if money were not an issue, a Cargo is what I'd prefer, at least based on what I've read/seen/heard of them. However, both financial constraints and the fact that I don't consider my skill good enough to warrant a $900 purchase would likely keep me from truly considering a Cargo anytime soon.
I have the 3/4 size Breedlove that is made in Korea. I think it is great for the money. I believe it was a little over $300.

Huss and Dalton T-0014
Collings I35LC
CA Cargo
Simon and Patrick Parlor
Old 03-16-2014, 12:58 PM

I'm partial to parlors as travel guitars. I live in a high humidity area but have no issues with any of my all wood guitars.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Hi briluster,

Travel guitars tend to be smaller, 3/4 size guitars with a more standard 14 frets free of the body while parlors are normally 0 size 12-fret guitars. Parlors can have wide and chunky necks which make them less than ideal for small hands while travel guitars like the Baby Taylor and Martin LX have narrower necks which are more manageable for kids. Given the specs, the 3/4 size travel guitar would be better suited to both travel and for use by kids. In fact the Baby Taylor was actually designed as a kids guitar, but parents found them to be worthy travel companions so the marketing was changed.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:11 PM

For what it's worth...
I had the Taylor Baby years ago. And it was a decent guitar for my needs at the time. But I tried the Taylor Mini GS at a local music store, and my fingers were cramping because of the narrow neck width. And Martin LXE Ed Sheeran model wasn't that much wider.
I tried one of the Art & Lutherie Ami (parlor), and I didn't have any hand issues playing the guitar... being 5'2", I have rather smallish hands. Another guitar that pleasantly surprised me was Peavey's Composer guitar.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi briluster,

Travel guitars tend to be smaller, 3/4 size guitars with a more standard 14 frets free of the body while parlors are normally 0 size 12-fret guitars. Parlors can have wide and chunky necks which make them less than ideal for small hands while travel guitars like the Baby Taylor and Martin LX have narrower necks which are more manageable for kids. Given the specs, the 3/4 size travel guitar would be better suited to both travel and for use by kids. In fact the Baby Taylor was actually designed as a kids guitar, but parents found them to be worthy travel companions so the marketing was changed.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, Ted. That's kind of what I thought might be an issue, the wider necks and fingerboards of many parlors. Although it'd likely get used more in travels and on the couch than in my kids' hands, I don't want to pass up what could be a great opportunity to get the girls interested in playing guitar--especially simce they've already expressed such a desire.

Does anybody have experience with little children trying to learn on wider neck/fret parlors? Was the neck/fret size insurmountable?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 AM

I recommend the Little Martin over the Baby Taylor...and recommend it both as a parlor guitar and a travel/kids guitar. Here's my video review http://firsttimeguitarbuyer.com/review-martin-lxm/
Old 03-25-2014, 01:30 PM

I was just looking up something else by Furch / Stonebridge Guitars - and stumbled upon this:

packs small and doesn't sound too bad for the size. Not exactly cheap, though.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-25-2014, 01:54 PM

Given the OPs budget I would not recommend a Furch / Stonebridge Guitar.

I would have to say the Little Martin or Baby Taylor. Also, for a tad bigger size the Big Baby is an awesome sounding guitar. The Big Baby can be had for about $450 online and I'm sure for a bit less used.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 PM

I just gave my A&L Ami to my 13 year old niece. She took right to it and said, "I feel like this guitar belongs on my lap!"
Old 03-25-2014, 02:30 PM

It sounds like the BT is an ideal choice for your situation...kids and travel. Through A/B eliminations I ended up with an LXM instead but that validates that there is a guitar for every taste. The LXM, now retired as a travel guitar, is still close at hand (nearly impervious to humidity issues) and is great for casual noodling even more than my GS Mini (another retired travel guitar) before pulling out one of the big boys.

How close are you to the guitar mecca that is Paraguay? Maybe you can get to Asuncion before your tour is over. You may get some "guitar overload". Also, the music shops clustered together in Lima seem to have some interesting guitars besides the ubiquitous charangos.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
a&l ami, baby taylor, little martin, parlor guitar, travel guitar