The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-25-2018, 03:59 PM

Default Newbie

I've been playing guitar for years. Never recorded anything until recently. Got a $100 tazcam. I use that and my phone sometimes via sound cloud. It all sounds pretty bad. I would like to have the ability to make some half decent recordings but don't have a lot of money. Also, I know next to nothing about recording -- digital or otherwise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-----------------------------------------
Guild M120e
Alvarez MD75S
Epiphone Ltd Ed. Les Paul Florentine
Fender Telecaster
Washburn Tahoe WD21S
Old 02-25-2018, 04:24 PM

electric thru amp or acoustic?

both "tascam" and smart phone should give you something you can deal with. sounds like much more practice is necessary. oh, and read the tascam's manual as that may give you some decent info.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-25-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
electric thru amp or acoustic?

both "tascam" and smart phone should give you something you can deal with. sounds like much more practice is necessary. oh, and read the tascam's manual as that may give you some decent info.
I've tried electric and acoustic. Electric sounds half way decent, I suppose. But, was hoping to find something that can actually capture and highlight the sound off the music without the "airy interference" for lack of a better description. Thank you for your input.

-----------------------------------------
Guild M120e
Alvarez MD75S
Epiphone Ltd Ed. Les Paul Florentine
Fender Telecaster
Washburn Tahoe WD21S
Old 02-26-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadra View Post
I've tried electric and acoustic. Electric sounds half way decent, I suppose. But, was hoping to find something that can actually capture and highlight the sound off the music without the "airy interference" for lack of a better description. Thank you for your input.
My guess is "airy interference" is the sound of your recording environment.
Room tratment has been discussed here ad nausium, so just do a quick search to pull up those topics.

The Tascam is fully capable of giving you a pretty acceptable sound once you figure out the basics of how to use it.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:35 AM

Be aware, that home recording can be a long path down the $$$ road! You can build your own bass traps fairly cheaply if you can find a local source for the rockwool insulation. I built my first 6 traps (4" thick x24"x48" for about $250 as it cost me about $70 to get the rockwool shipped to me from ATS Acoustics.
Don't buy 'acoustic foam'.
First try experimenting some more with what you have:
Get closer to the recorder or phone; hang a bed comforter on the wall behind you, but also face out to the longest dimension of your room. The idea is take some of the room reflections out of the equation.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadra View Post
I've been playing guitar for years. Never recorded anything until recently. Got a $100 tazcam. I use that and my phone sometimes via sound cloud. It all sounds pretty bad. I would like to have the ability to make some half decent recordings but don't have a lot of money. Also, I know next to nothing about recording -- digital or otherwise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Like many endeavors, recording is a mixture of science, craft and art. Education, experimentation and experience are three tools that help develop recording skills. It can easily take hundreds of hours of time to do this.

Certain equipment is needed to record. These days, inexpensive equipment can generate good results when coupled with basic recording skills.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD