The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-25-2017, 11:19 AM

Default Anyone looking for an apprentice in Australia?

Hi all

I'm moving back to Australia after having been in the states for 1.5 years and am dead keen to find someone who wants a guitar repair apprentice. I've been practicing repairs and set ups on broken guitars I buy online but really want to take it to the next level.

If anyone is personally looking for an apprentice, or knows someone that is, I would love to hear from you. Ill be living in Brisbane but I'd move for the right opportunity. Also any advice on how to get started in the industry would be much appreciated

Thanks for your time
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini
Old 10-25-2017, 05:43 PM

I am in Perth, Western Australia.

I currently have a few people (3) that I am teaching repairs too, I also have a full time repair apprentice, two other employees plus myself.

All I can do is offer advice, you can make a full time living out of repairing instruments, only a few make a living full time out of building instruments.

Making a living, is not about getting by, its about making enough money from the one job, to be able to buy your house, pay a mortgage, raise your kids, buy a car and put food on the table.

Practice practice and again practice, your reputation is all there is, if you stuff a job, wear it, fix it at your expense, one bad reviewed customer does more damage than 50 good customers praising you.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-25-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 10-25-2017, 11:08 PM

Well said, Steve. . .

Frank Ford
Old 10-26-2017, 08:36 PM

Also.... Very few professionals participate on forums....

If you are considering this...
1. Find local professionals.
2. Observe if they already have apprentices or employees.
3. Approach them about apprenticing

Be aware. The most likely place you will find a willing luthier is a place where you already see apprentices/employees....

99% of one man shops are like that for a reason... And it's not that they don't have enough business coming in for an apprentice or employee..... The fellow may be technically excellent - but he may not be the sort who can or enjoys teaching/managing others..... Don't take it personally if you get turned down...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
apprentice, australia, guitar repair