The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 11:39 AM

A while back I was in my local GC store and commented on the old strings on a new Martin guitar. I was told that GC employees are not allowed to change the strings and that they have to wait for the visiting Martin rep to change the strings.

jerry
Old 07-17-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMansGuitar View Post

I wonder if it mean a difference in guitar sales
Why would it? First time buyers won't know what the strings are supposed to sound like anyway.

Experienced buyers will know that a guitar that's been hanging around a store for a while will sound better if they put new strings on it anyway.

Last edited by frankmcr; 07-17-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMansGuitar View Post
The goal of shipping Martins with Lifespans was to keep the tone of new guitars from getting dull in guitar shops from all the many people playing them, and because some shops rarely keep up on wiping strings down, or changing them on a regular basis.

But Martin has decided to heed the call from players who feel treated strings never have the same level of vibrancy as untreated strings.
Considering the rusted gunk-laden nightmare strings I found on an otherwise interesting Martin 12-string at a local GCC last year, if Martin wants to ensure the guitars in the stores represent their very best they should institute mandatory monthly string changes for all in-store guitars on pain of losing authorized retailer status.

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, strings