The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2016, 06:31 PM

Default String wear w/picture - please

Hi everybody! I've tried asking this in other topics but I find it really hard to explain. Here's the pic and following the riddle:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwA...w?usp=drivesdk

1) lots of string wear above the frets, they kind of "keep moving" because the strings are nylon so they need constant tuning

2) the set is Daddario's silverplated ej27 medium tension

3) strings have about two to three weeks of use

4) where I live the weather is really humid and warm

5) never had this issue with steel strings nor nylons with low tension

6) action is medium to high

Any thoughts? Especially on the A strings, the string wear marks are above the frets and I hardly play around all of them, mostly first position stuff.

I got many guesses on corrosion and it makes sense except for the fact that the wear is right above the frets and not throughout the string. I don't get these near the hole and bridge.

As far as durability of the string, meaning not the tone but really the wound/coil actually coming apart, should it be something to worry about? Whatever that is, any ideas on how to clean that?

I think it'll be interesting to hear different opinions and advices on that. Thanks a million!
Old 06-17-2016, 08:03 AM

Looks just like mine.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 AM

Looks just like mine, too. Fact is, while my strings are several weeks old, a day or two might pass when ignore my nylon string, and play my steel string, instead. Each time I pick it up I retune it, of course, which amounts mostly to removing slack from the bass strings which keep on stretching, so the wear marks on the strings gradually move up the fingerboard toward the nut.

My strings are Savarez, red card. I don't recall this issue with Savarez HT Alliance carbon set, normal tension.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 AM

Looks pretty normal to me. The silver tarnishes pretty quickly at the frets. I'd say your "other" nylon string guitar either doesn't get played as much, or perhaps they're coated strings (or not silver). Either way, at a few weeks, that looks about right.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

For what its worth, this looks normal to me as well. I sold my nylon stringed guitar so haven't had a recent experience but it looks familiar.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-17-2016, 09:42 AM

When you finger above the fret, the fret becomes the breaking point bending the string over that fret. This creates more fatigue of the string over the frets. That's my guess.
........Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fret wear, nylon, strings, wear