The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 12-19-2015, 10:51 AM

Okay, I am very impressed. This guitar should be talked about MUCH more though. This isn't just some small collapsible guitar (although that in itself is something!)

Follow the link and look at the specs http://www.journeyinstruments.com/pr...e-top-of660b1/

A couple of highlights for me;
-It comes with a 2 way truss rod, something that has received a lot of debate in the CF world
-24.5 scale , 1 3/4 nut & 2 1/4 spacing at bridge

However I was SHOCKED that this has a bevel AND wedge at this price! Click for the really big detailed photo. http://www.journeyinstruments.com/wp..._design_cf.jpg

Last but by no means whatsoever least... THE UST!! I haven't heard a UST sound that nice and passive at that!

I think that this street price for this is VERY nice when you look at all that you are getting. My goodness has Carbon come a long way!

EDIT: robailey corrected me below in that the pu is underbridge, not UST. That would explain the fullness in the tone! Awesome package that you have put together here in this guitar. I may just have to pull the trigger... after the Canadian dollar recovers. I need $1.41 for $1.00 US dollar today... OUCH!!

Last edited by Carbonius; 01-06-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:07 PM

Carbonius - love the name by the way - haha. Thanks for the great recommendation! Basically when we developed this model, we spent 300 hours on market research and nearly 3 years in R&D. For the dollar, we believe this has the optimal combination of playability, tone, volume, and comfort that can fit in overhead dim requirements.

As for the pickup - check out the full-length video review done by David Youngman in the initial post - he adjusted the bass/mid/trebel at the amp without a preamp and it sounds phenomenal... I do small house gigs and people are floored by the tone.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
...this has a bevel AND wedge...
Both are nice to have; My 12 string guitar has both of those features.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:16 PM

Couple of questions, what is a 2 way truss rod?

And what is UST?
Old 12-20-2015, 11:27 PM

a 2-way truss rod can be turned clockwise and counter-clockwise for forward and backward neck adjustment. UST is "under-saddle-transducer" To clarify, we use a passive 3-piezo under-bridge transducer that has a more natural tone and is better for percussive playing as well.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:00 AM

Thanks. I'll be trying one out very soon, can't wait.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:43 AM

I would love to know the cubic volume of this guitar compared to other popular sizes. By VOLUME I do not mean loudness, I mean capacity. It is so hard to get a sense of how much air is inside this guitar compared to a standard OM, GC, GA, etc. Actually, it's hard to compare ANY guitar for that matter. Also, one can't just enter in 3 measurements and get the cubic volume of a guitar.

Here's a crazy idea;
-Fill the guitar completely with water
-Precisely measure the water as you drain it
-From there it is easy, 1 litre = 1,000 cubic centimetres.

This is all fine for a CF guitar (without electronics) but then how can you compare it to others??? Nobody in their right mind wants to fill a perfectly good wooden guitar with water...

Other crazy idea;
-Place guitar in water proof bag. A heavy duty garbage bag doubled up should suffice. Also something should be placed over sound-hole before going in the bag so the water pressure doesn't push it in, rendered the measurements inaccurate.
-Partially fill some larger water container that can handle the length of the guitar body.
-Lower the guitar into the container until the neck heel just touches the water
-Mark the new water height on the container.
-Remover the guitar and add water to the container until the marked height is met, measuring what you add.

Sure, this will not account for braces, types of braces, thickness of wood and such... but it will be very close and easy to standardize.

I know that bracing, materials, sound-hole placement and other factors effect tone. However a parlor size guitar will never have the bass of a super jumbo... so capacity matters! It could be an interesting selling point. I will never get my hands on on of these without buying it. I'd love to know if it is essentially a concert size or what have you. But it may just be another just a crazy idea of mine.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:56 PM

Fill it with sand? Plastic beads? Marbles? Other?

Not as accurate as water could be--but close enough, I think.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM

Hey Carbonious - I like the water idea we'll do something fun like that this year.
One thing about tone and volume (as in cubic inch displacement). Our bracing, combined with the tonal properties of carbon - make this guitar sound VERY full, and the bass is phenomenal for the size. It's not as loud as a dreadnaught - but Id say the sound signature isn't far off with regard to the lower end. Here are a few recent testimonials from guitarists who purchased over the holidays:

"I purchased a OF660 ... Received it Christmas Eve and am so pleased with it! The sound is incredibly good for such a small size and the portability is fantastic. I will be taking it to Cuba with me, end of January and am so glad I won't have to practice /play on a "toy" guitar. Thks so much for your help with this and Thks to Journey for such a fine instrument!" - Bryan Shimidt - Jan 2016

"To say I am stunned by every aspect of this would be an understatement. I already sold one to my partner in music and will be hauling it around Europe this spring. I should become a sales rep! ...Life is good and now its better without the fear of transporting irreplaceable instruments. Formerly played with Ike and Tina, Bobby Womack, Commander Cody being the most notable...The 2 bridge saddles are an excellent touch...This guitar does well in all open tunings down to c. Killer bottom that competes or exceeds a $5K Martin I have as my main guitar. Well done! Happy, healthy, prosperous 2016 to you and yours." - Larry Otis - Jan 2016

Old 01-04-2016, 08:13 PM

I've had this guitar for the last 4 months. I love throwing it on my back for a walk on the beach. The thought of not having to worry about it in my car during northern Mich. winters or hot summer days gives me peace of mind. No, it is not my only guitar, but it works nicely as a compact travel guitar. I have to say that the sound is nice for a smaller bodied guitar. It's not meant to take the place of a dread.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 PM

It is significantly less loud than my Taylor Dred or Pono Parlor. In some ways that's a feature as it might be better for me, as I play hard.

It is well balanced IMO... but you can judge for yourself:

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-05-2016, 06:47 PM

Thanks! Good info
Old 01-06-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Fill it with sand? Plastic beads? Marbles? Other?

Not as accurate as water could be--but close enough, I think.
Hey, great idea! You can get very small, very light weight plastic beads at craft stores. These would easily fill the guitar, yet not risk damaging it by making it super heavy. Also, it would be easy to get all the beads out again!! You would then do the exact same thing; measure the beads as if they are liquid and convert to standard volume measurements.

The best way to compare inner air is with an inner measurement. This accounts for top, back and side thickness which varies slightly, but more so braces which vary in quantity, thickness and shape.

I know that bracing and woods greatly affect tone, yet still... air is air. My Cedar/Hog GC size guitar has a wonderfully sweet tone, yet it holds nothing to my GS size guitar in the low end.

I would love to see some store take this on that has access to many popular guitars. There is no risk in damaging the guitar when using very small, light weight beads.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Tags
carbon fiber, collapsible, don ross, journey, travel, travel guitar