The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Does anyone have any experience with this model SKB case?

http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...t=2&c=83&s=75#

this is a link to the SKB page
Old 02-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb7669 View Post
You sir, are correct. The right answer is better insurance (this applies to so many things in this life) combined with a better travel case. In the end it may turn out to be a less expensive investment on my part and easier to make happen.

Or, I could just buy a Voyage Air. It may take several shots of a fine single malt, or maybe a bottle, to get me to buy any wood guitar again. Ted, do you have a liquor license? Can I BMOB (bring my own bottle) to the shop along with me? I would share .

Remember, if you buy a wood guitar YOU are a killer of the gentle tree! Mother Natures oxygen factory. If you live in SoCal, well you know we need all the oxygen we can get! I've heard it said that 'some' wood guitar owners believe that by harvesting the wood, and SOULS, of these sweet, innocent and ancient, trees it will make their guitars sound better. Oh those poor trapped tree souls. Don't be a heartless, soul harvesting tree killer. Buy composite. No souls just soul...and chemicals... and Amazing performance.

My best to all of you Carbon Fiber Renegades.
Very interesting perspective....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM

Sometimes my sense of humor runs away from me. "Tree soul harvesters" Heh heh.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM

After looking at the choices,

a. An expensive high quality carbon fiber case.
b. An over sized tank case.

The cost of insurance (not so bad) PLUS the risk that the airline can still ship my guitar someplace other than where I'm going (this has happened in the past) ...I may have no choice but to get a Voyage Air. At least then a full size guitar could travel with me. Also they have a space for a computer in the bag. Bonus. I can fit ,like six, sandwiches in there! Ted I think I need to reserve my tree soul soon. I'll call you.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb7669 View Post
I may have no choice but to get a Voyage Air.
I had both a VA and a Cargo at the same time. I was traveling with the Cargo once, had it in the overhead compartment, and somebody proceeded to stuff their oversized suitcase into said compartment.

I didn't even wince. And I realized how valuable that peace of mind was to me. Sold my VA soon after.

In case nobody has mentioned it yet, check with Brunner. He's made some of his detachable-neck guitars out of CF.

http://brunner-guitars.com/flash/index.html

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM

I'd also be up for a CF guitar with a VA folding neck. I have a VA-OM06, which is great for getting on a plane as hand luggage. However, CF would have the benefit of being more robust and, most importantly, being able to withstand temperature and humidity fluctuations without temporary physical (and so tonal) impairment. Tuning stability would also be a bonus.

I'm actually thinking about selling my Larrivee parlour and my VA-OM06 to fund a CF guitar (possibly an Emerald, since I'm based in the UK and they're nearby). But not being able to carry it on as handluggage would be a big disadvantage - and many of the European airlines won't let you take on even parlour sized guitars by hand... So it's a big yes from me!

Sadly it doesn't seem likely that anyone will be able to do it soon (though there's talk of the Brunner option, which my wallet can't bear... but I can't seem to find a CF Brunner with a detachable neck on the website).
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM

If you email Brunner, he will send you a mountain of photos (he sent me 50 photos) of a large number of CF guitars he built. Absolutely gorgeous.

As of this last summer, he had 3 in stock but because of a massive construction project, he had stopped building anything at that time. His goal was to begin again building early this year so maybe he is again now. He loves building his wood masterpieces most of all, but said he would not stop building CF guitars if there was demand. His two piece CF guitar is the perfect travel guitar.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 AM

Don't forget that the Brunner CF guitars have a wood fretboard, which technically means the guitar would still need humidifying.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 AM

True. Why he doesn't just use Micarta like Blackbird does--I don't know. That would take care of the matter without resorting to an extra process he currently wants to avoid. I'd be happy with Micarta. Maybe no one has suggested it to him or requested such.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, composite, voyage air