The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Buy it! ! ! ! ! !
Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 PM

As I (and at least one other person) noted above, with this guitar you are in the price range of a lot of other top notch, stellar guitars, particularly if you buy used.

This Taylor may in fact be the guitar of your dreams (they do seem very nice, based on what people say about them), but if you have not done so already, and if you have the opportunity locally to do this, I'd say you ought to be sure to play a bunch of other guitars in this price range just to know what the options are. You might be amazed by what you discover.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliew08 View Post
Hey guys, new member here, first post

I'm seriously considering an 814ce. I am really digging the sounds of the 2014 models I've played. I am a worship leader, playing quite a bit throughout the week, at church, practice, as well as other events in the community.

I'm thinking the 814ce will be the best guitar for me, but I was looking for some opinions. I currently run either a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe (ovangkol b&s) or a Martin 000-MMV with a LR Baggs Lyric through a Venue DI. The Gibson has been my tried and true but sometimes over powering I feel in a band setting. The Martin has fantastic tone and clarity, but the battery life of the Lyric is really troublesome. I try to unplug it when I'm done with a set, but sometimes things just don't work out that way. I usually have to change out the battery a couple times before a string change.

So my question is, in this price range and my use is the 814ce the one? What other options are there for me to consider? I owned a 114ce at one point and loved the playability of it, but the quality of tone wasn't what I was looking for. I don't love the ES2, but I feel with the Venue I can dial it in to my tastes. Probably purchasing through Sweetwater unless I can find one I like used, pretty cool I can see each one they have for sale in detail. Thanks in advanced!
Welcome aboard. There are many varying opinions here about the many great acoustics. Ultimately it will come down to your own preference. I've not played a new 814, but I know about mine. After playing several guitars around the area a few years ago, I settled in on my 814. It sounds great through the PA I own and I have nothing negative to say about it. This post gives me a chance to post a picture of my 814, again

Old 01-29-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
As I (and at least one other person) noted above, with this guitar you are in the price range of a lot of other top notch, stellar guitars, particularly if you buy used.

This Taylor may in fact be the guitar of your dreams (they do seem very nice, based on what people say about them), but if you have not done so already, and if you have the opportunity locally to do this, I'd say you ought to be sure to play a bunch of other guitars in this price range just to know what the options are. You might be amazed by what you discover.

On the other hand, perhaps a better route to a happy life would be this:

If you have played these Taylors and if you have loved them, then just go for it and don't look back, and don't listen to me in my posts above, and don't second guess your decision!
Old 01-29-2015, 02:41 PM

I'd play a 314ce and see if you feel enough difference to justify the cost difference. As many have mentioned, you could also look at used options and get more bang for your buck.

But every 814ce I've ever played has been amazing, so if you can afford it, and it speaks to you, then get it.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 01-29-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefooter View Post
Welcome aboard. There are many varying opinions here about the many great acoustics. Ultimately it will come down to your own preference. I've not played a new 814, but I know about mine. After playing several guitars around the area a few years ago, I settled in on my 814. It sounds great through the PA I own and I have nothing negative to say about it. This post gives me a chance to post a picture of my 814, again

Beautiful guitar!
Old 01-29-2015, 02:42 PM

Find yourself a used Collings (they are ALL great guitars), install a K&K Pure Mini, and you'll never think "Taylor" again.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Find yourself a used Collings (they are ALL great guitars), install a K&K Pure Mini, and you'll never think "Taylor" again.
As much as I like Taylors and the 814ce in particular, what 6L6 says is true.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:00 PM

I owned an 814ce. It played great but lacked the tone I wanted acoustically. I didn't play it much plugged in, but I can't imagine they sound much different than a 214, 314, 414, etc through an amp. I found it lacking bass and too bright - might be great for plugged in performances though. I also believe the cutaway diminished the fuller sound of a non cutaway.

I have played a 414ce and a 214c that both sounded better acoustically, and I also discovered that I don't like bound fret boards - at least not on acoustics.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

This is exactly I joined and posted. You guys have been fantastic in your feedback and it is greatly appreciated!

I originally thought I wanted a Martin GPCPA1 Plus, but after playing it at a local GC along with the 814, I think I really only liked it because of the looks. Not what I was looking for in tone. I have played the 314 and 414, and they are okay for me. I have not seen or played and of the 816's in person, though the benefits you guys have mentioned does sound nice for what I want. I really like the size of the 814, and from the specs of it the 816 doesn't seem that much bigger.

I've never seen a Collings, but I hear are good things. I was thinking 814 because I have seen and played one. I'd really like it to be a "buy once, cry once" kinda deal. I would hope this would be one that is a keeper. Now you all may have me thinking 816.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliew08 View Post
This is exactly I joined and posted. You guys have been fantastic in your feedback and it is greatly appreciated!

I originally thought I wanted a Martin GPCPA1 Plus, but after playing it at a local GC along with the 814, I think I really only liked it because of the looks. Not what I was looking for in tone. I have played the 314 and 414, and they are okay for me. I have not seen or played and of the 816's in person, though the benefits you guys have mentioned does sound nice for what I want. I really like the size of the 814, and from the specs of it the 816 doesn't seem that much bigger.

I've never seen a Collings, but I hear are good things. I was thinking 814 because I have seen and played one. I'd really like it to be a "buy once, cry once" kinda deal. I would hope this would be one that is a keeper. Now you all may have me thinking 816.
OK, I'm going to sort of rescind my last post...

What I'm hearing here, reading between the lines, is that you have played an 814 and it was nice. Maybe very nice. But I'm not sure I'm hearing that it necessarily blew you away in a deeply profound way. But some of the other guitars that have been mentioned here that can be had (used at least) for a similar price to a new 814 (I'm figuring about 3.5K?) almost certainly would affect you in a profound way if you sat down and played them.

You might not end up liking them better than the Taylor in the end, but if you have the opportunity to try some of them out, it certainly could be worth your while.

I'm partial to Goodalls - some folks describe them as sounding like Taylors on steroids, and a common reaction to playing one is "I had no idea a guitar could even sound this wonderful!" And every Goodall I've played (maybe somewhere between a dozen and two dozen) has been profoundly wonderful, like no other guitars I've ever played. And there are some used ones that come up for sale here on the forum within, or close to, your price range, and some of the reputable, respected shops that sell online have them used in your price range sometimes. These are perhaps the only guitar brand I would have no qualms about buying without playing first (given that I already know that I like the Goodall sound) - they are that consistently wonderful.

Others LOVE Collings. Not my cup of tea personally, but they are great, wonderfully well-built guitars that many folks adore (and for good reason).

And some drop dead fabulous Martins can be had in this price range.

I played a used Kronbauer in this price range recently that was simply fabulous.

And there are others.

This price range has lots of options.

The challenge is, of course, that there are many geographic regions where there are no shops that carry a lot of the guitars I and others have been talking about, so it can be hard for a lot of folks to try them out in person.

All this being said......

If trying out these others is not an option for you, the Taylor would probably be a perfectly wonderful option.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Good advice is to buy what you get to play before committing your dollars. I love my 814 and if that guitar speaks to you, then just buy it and enjoy it. It is certainly a guitar that will sound great playing a broad and diverse range of music. The extra bonus is the 814 is beautifully made and is gorgeous to look at.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-29-2015, 05:30 PM

Default 814ce

Now that I've had "Kimberly" (814ce) for just over a year, I really enjoy playing her. She's got a really nice sound and responds well to cleartone or Elixer medium lights. It's a solid guitar and I've always enjoyed playing...
But...
If I had my choice now, I'd be spending that money on a D28 or a custom made guitar.
It's a little bright for my tastes and after playing a few cannon's since, doesn't project as well as I once thought.
For what I paid, I'd expect a little more sustain, projection and warmer bass.
Love it. Will probably never sell it. But, not exactly my sound either.
I've been spoiled with my Martins and Bamburg warm tone, long sustain and great projection.
Have toyed with selling but haven't found the one to replace her yet I guess.
Sounds fantastic plugged in, though I rarely plug in.
K
Martin Backpacker "Andy"
Cordoba GK Studio "Classy"
Gibson Advanced Jumbo "Brandy"
Martin GPCPA5 "Mandy"
Martin OM-1 "Sophie"
Taylor 814ce "Kimberly"
Bamburg JSB "Lindsey"
Froggy F-14 "Whitney"

Universe.MilkyWay.Earth.Guitars.Kirk
Old 01-29-2015, 06:29 PM

http://youtu.be/KlyhEnqyafo

Tune of mine played on a Taylor '96 814ce the Fishman under saddle pu was stock.

One of the best guitars I've ever owned. In the same class as a Santa Cruz.

It cost me $1700 and was in "new" condition as was the case when I bought it. It had been rarely, if ever, played.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by maxnaegele; 01-29-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Where are you located? Perhaps some of us know of a good shop or two within driving distance where you can try different options.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
814ce, gibson, lr baggs, martin, taylor