The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-17-2009, 08:26 PM

Default Playing with thumbpick

I am trying to see if I can use thumb/finger picks. I bought some but not sure I know how to get one that fits right. I got this National thumbpick from GC. It's a large - that feels right but then when I play it moves around.

Do I have to play differently or is it too large? Any tips. same with the finger ones. The finger one's were metal but the thumb pick was plastic - is that right?

Thanks!
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
I am trying to see if I can use thumb/finger picks. I bought some but not sure I know how to get one that fits right. I got this National thumbpick from GC. It's a large - that feels right but then when I play it moves around.

Do I have to play differently or is it too large? Any tips. same with the finger ones. The finger one's were metal but the thumb pick was plastic - is that right?

Thanks!
Hi,
I'd say go back to GC and try medium size, I also use National and don't have any moving around problem. I don't think you have to play differently BTW I filed off the tip to make it shorter because I also play classical guitar (but without thumbpick) and got use to the thumb closer to the strings.
So I'm pretty sure your thumbpick is too large for your thumb, first you may feel too tight when you use medium size but I think you will get use to it sooner or later.
Please let us know the outcome.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 AM

I've never seen a metal thumbpick, so you're ok there. You should definitely try a smaller thumbpick, and you will have to be careful to not dig into the string too hard. Think "delicate" . You'll have to learn to move your thumb independently from your fingers. Everyone has their own preferences so you have to experiment and find which pick works best for you. I prefer to not use fingerpicks, but I have strong nails and don't keep them all that long anyway. There are lots of different styles of fingerpicks.

http://www.wwbw.com/Finger-Picks-and...k-Holders.wwbw

If you can get by without using fingerpicks, you'll be a lot better off.
Taylor GA3
Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 AM

Pictured below are a few thumbpicks I’ve used throughout the years. My favorite is the metal Dunlop. It’s really comfortable because you can easily bend it for a custom fit. I do the same for the Fred Kelly picks; only I use a lighter to heat up the plastic at the bend.

I’m of the opinion that there’s more you can do in terms of technique without finger and thumb picks, but sometimes it’s nice to emphasize an interesting bass line. No reason you can’t do both!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:41 PM

Thanks everyone. I am about to go to GC - they don't really have much there just maybe 2. Seems like they more support electric guitar players.

Is there different thickness on the end like regular picks in addition to the size of the thumb.

Gotta get the daughter ready first - 9mos old and I am flying solo without the wife this week - she is certainly messy. It would be cool if she suddenly picked up guitar at GC and jammed out... to early? ;-)
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 04-18-2009, 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=
Is there different thickness on the end like regular picks in addition to the size of the thumb.
;-)[/QUOTE]

National and Dunlop don't have the thickness differential but may be the more expensive brands do.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
Gotta get the daughter ready first - 9mos old and I am flying solo without the wife this week - she is certainly messy.

Hahaha just reread this... I hope you guys know I meant my daughter is messy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell