The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-16-2018, 08:04 AM

Default Finally found it, but how do I stop it?

So I've been vexed by a vibration in my Alvarez Parlor guitar for the last few months. I thought maybe a loose brace, checked them, no problems. Thought maybe the wiring, wasn't that. Thought maybe it was fret buzz (although I never really thought it was). Everything on this guitar was as tight as the day I bought it. Finally, last night, on a whim, I removed the battery. Instantly gone! The battery is in a separate location from the preamp.....nearby the bottom strap button. The battery and plug are the same unit. The 9v battery fits into a sleeve, then slides into the jack board....similar to this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...302932557.html
Do you guys have any suggestions on a good permanent fix for this? At this point I don't know if the sleeve is vibrating in the housing, or if the battery is vibrating in the sleeve.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Just a guess, but I’d think a small piece of foam to keep things still might do the trick.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWalkingBlues View Post
So I've been vexed by a vibration in my Alvarez Parlor guitar for the last few months. I thought maybe a loose brace, checked them, no problems. Thought maybe the wiring, wasn't that. Thought maybe it was fret buzz (although I never really thought it was). Everything on this guitar was as tight as the day I bought it. Finally, last night, on a whim, I removed the battery. Instantly gone! The battery is in a separate location from the preamp.....nearby the bottom strap button. The battery and plug are the same unit. The 9v battery fits into a sleeve, then slides into the jack board....similar to this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...302932557.html
Do you guys have any suggestions on a good permanent fix for this? At this point I don't know if the sleeve is vibrating in the housing, or if the battery is vibrating in the sleeve.
I have added masking tape to a 9v battery that was vibrating in a Taylor battery compartment to good effect.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair