The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2017, 10:39 PM

Arrow BBT vs. Mini GS

So if I were to choose between Taylor's Big Baby and Mini GS, which should be better? Again for fingerstyle.

A search by Google revealed that the Big Baby is a 15/16, that is, just slightly smaller than the MiniGS; the MiniGS would be (I'm not sure I think 7/8). I read reviews of both guitars and they are both very favorable. Also watched videos comparing both and the comments were very balanced, slightly in favour to the big baby; but i'm still not sure.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

The La Si Do" company run by Robert Godin of Quebec has a number of acoustic brands that are much more available in Canada than the USA.

They include :"Seagull","Simon and PatricK","Norman" and "Art and Lutherie".

Smaller body models are available with in those ,many with built in electronics.You should be able to find stores that carry a good variety in the Toronto area.

Coming from a classical guitar background you may find the neck on the Taylor GS Mini to be a bit narrow.

I have a Taylor GS mini mahogany version which has a great tone but I wish there was a bit more room on the neck...

Good luck in your search!Adios!

Gabe
Old 08-26-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacatedral View Post
So if I were to choose between Taylor's Big Baby and Mini GS, which should be better? Again for fingerstyle.

A search by Google revealed that the Big Baby is a 15/16, that is, just slightly smaller than the MiniGS; the MiniGS would be (I'm not sure I think 7/8). I read reviews of both guitars and they are both very favorable. Also watched videos comparing both and the comments were very balanced, slightly in favour to the big baby; but i'm still not sure.
I've never tried a Big Baby. I don't care for dreadnoughts in general and have never seen a Big Baby that enticed me enough to play it. Given your preference for playing guitars with the lower bout between your legs, however, I'd think you would find the GS Mini to be more comfortable as well.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 08-26-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:

You need to ask yourself what scale length you would want. The BB has a long scale neck (25.5") versus 23.5" for the GS mini.

I used to own a BB and it had a very bright and punchy tone, very piano like.

The GS is a substantially smaller guitar. The BB is a louder and punchier instrument - partly due to the scale length, but also due to the body size.

I would chose the BB over the GS. I would choose the Martin D Jr over both.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-26-2017, 08:11 AM

I'd find the nicest Yamaha you can find/afford...
Excellent guitars in the mid price range.

Yamaha LS6 comes to mind .. under $500 USD.

Link for info purpose
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SAAEgLwu_D_BwE
Old 08-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Another vote for Seagull.

I've found that Seagull's website isn't well constructed, so don't rely on that alone. Find one and try one.

As others have mentioned, ask the dealers how CITES may affect taking your purchase back home. If guitars cost half as much in Canada as they do at home, the additional cost is probably not a problem.

Also, the wider fingerboard on a lot of Seagulls may be a good fit for you. You said you now play fingerstyle on a classical guitar but want something thinner?
The fingerboard width on most Seagulls are not as wide as a classical, but not as narrow as a lot of other acoustic guitars. It's one of the reason I like them.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:13 PM

Arrow

For now it seems it's between Taylor Big Baby-e, GS Mini-e and a Seagull. But I'll go to the different stores and try several guitars by myself with different pickups, thanks everyone!
Old 08-27-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
For now it seems it's between Taylor Big Baby-e, GS Mini-e and a Seagull. But I'll go to the different stores and try several guitars by myself with different pickups, thanks everyone!
Have fun! Play as many as you can and keep an open mind.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 08-27-2017, 05:41 PM

As others have suggested, purchase a guitar in Canada. Your money will get you a nice new instrument but will get you an even better used instrument. So, please also consider a used guitar - like a Larrivee.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:53 PM

Check out Seagull guitars wonderful instruments for the money and don't forget to check out the used guitar market, good luck with your search.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:24 PM

Yep. I too would urge you play many different guitars before you pay. Judging by your posts you seem focused on a Taylor. Taylor makes nice guitars. I've owned several. I don't own any now because I haven't bonded with their sound. So let your ears be your guide and let your hands tell you when you have found the right one.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, buy, fingerstyle, new guitar