The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 AM

That wood grain, tho!

I also spot a shade of figuring on that cedar top. An absolutely gorgeous specimen. Enjoy it, that one looks like a real keeper
Old 04-27-2016, 10:03 AM

Congrats on the Seagull! They are very popular for a reason...
Old 04-27-2016, 11:35 AM

Thanks guys
Old 09-07-2016, 09:42 AM

I was looking for a dreadnought weeks ago and visited several stores comparing the Seagull S6 Original vs the new Yamaha FG830. I guess I played at least three S6 and four FG830. The Seagull were generally less consistent compared to the Yamaha, there was one that sounded clearly better. I was tempted to choose that guitar especially for the wide neck (I play mainly finger style and do not have small hands). However, I found that FG 830 had a better tone (for my personal taste). Very warm and balanced, with increased basses compared to the FG700 series. I also noticed that, finally, for this new series Yamaha decided to choose a regular strings spacing at the bridge (55 mm) which is good because the FG700 series have a ridiculously narrow string spacing at the bridge that is a real problem when you play finger style. Also the strings spacing at the nut is slightly increased and now is 36 mm string to string, i.e. a regular 11/16 neck (on the FG700 series the string spacing at the nut was narrower). I liked the Seagull but finally I didn't find that the difference in price was worth, actually I found that the building, care of details, and as already said, the sound, was better in the less expensive FG830. However, for sure you will not go wrong with both options.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:53 PM

Default Seagull S6 vs Yamaha FG830

Congrats on a good pick. I have an S6 Original, in response to the OPs question on strings, I like DR Sunbeams on mine. A pleasing tone to me and they are long lasting in my experience
Old 09-07-2016, 08:54 PM

I have a '99 Seagull Mahogany Cedar--solid cedar top, solid mahogany back and laminate sides. It's a great guitar. I think the older Seagulls are really quality guitars.

Also, just my $0.02--not choosing a guitar because of the headstock says more about the player than it does the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, seagull s6, yamaha fg380