The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-01-2014, 01:30 PM

Default Martin DM Pickup Recommendation!!

I am considering getting an LR Baggs undersaddle pickup to put in my Martin DM. MY two questions are these:

1.) Who on earth can I trust to do this work? (Im from Lexington KY)... I am worried if I just let Guitar Center or some other shop do it... Should I be worried?

2.) Is there a better, yet somewhat affordable, option to use as the pick up system?

Thanks guys for all of your answers and help!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypandemonium View Post
I am considering getting an LR Baggs undersaddle pickup to put in my Martin DM. MY two questions are these:

1.) Who on earth can I trust to do this work? (Im from Lexington KY)... I am worried if I just let Guitar Center or some other shop do it... Should I be worried?

2.) Is there a better, yet somewhat affordable, option to use as the pick up system?

Thanks guys for all of your answers and help!
The LR Baggs is a great pickup system - do not allow Guitar Center to do the work. The AGF will supply many great recommendos for the Lexington area.

For an alternative, check this out: http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/produc...phones/edwina/

Then look up the Milk Carton Kids and watch a video of them performing together with just this one mic. Their recent tour featured one mic for the both of them, and spectacular is an understatement. Mine is coming in the mail from Portland as I type. Best from Landru.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:05 PM

Default Martin DM Pickup Recommendation!!

I put a similar system in my DM. It was the LRBaggs iMix which was at the time a combo of the iBeam and the Element I believe. Sounds very good and versatile.

Have you tried any soundhole pickups like Dean Markley to see if that works for you? For some this inexpensive soundhole solution is all they need.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Thanks guys!

That microphone sounds amazing, but I really can't justify spending that much... I don't get to play out often enough.

That is really good to hear about your experience with the Martin DM . It means I can make it work out. I may try something similar. I once did try a soundhole pickup with it, and it was decent... I was simply looking for just a little better, but that is a good suggestion. I even may resort to that if I can't find someone I trust for installation and such.

I also really think this guitar needs a setup. It plays fine enough, but the action is really high and Ive watched many a video, but I don't feel comfortable determining if the truss rod needs adjusted and doing that kind of stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
install, installation, lr baggs, martin, pickup