The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-19-2009, 10:12 PM

Smile A Wonderful Concert

I went to a wonderful concert today, heard some great music, listened to a marvelous musician, and was privileged to hear a top-drawer guitar. Larry Pattis play in a small venue at the Hillsboro, OR public library today. I've read comments by others of Larry's excellent guitar playing, and have listened to the tunes he has posted, but there's nothing like the real thing right in front of you. My girlfriend and I arrived a bit early, and Larry is so easy to talk with. A very, very nice guy. We talked about his Woolson guitar, his Bose set-up, and his style of music. As others came in, he easily engaged others as they asked him about his guitars and his music. When he began to play, magic was in the air. I loved his use of DADGAD, and many of the chord progressions and were exquisite. Larry has such a nice sense of touch, and the Woolson guitar was able to communicate that to us. What a lovely guitar, and I love the cedar top of the spruce/cedar double top Paul made for Larry. It's little wonder that Paul receives such high compliments for his guitars from folks on our forum. I downloaded all of the songs Paul placed on-line from those who played his travel guitar, and now I had an opportunity to hear an excellent guitarist play a Woolson guitar. All in all, it made for a wonderful afternoon and a great day here in the Pacific Northwest. Thank you, Larry...and thank you, Paul!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Musical minimalist

nothing like a night of music that hits you right smack in the middle of your forehead. Glad you got the experience!!

I'm way overdue for something like that

Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
I went to a wonderful concert today, heard some great music, listened to a marvelous musician, and was privileged to hear a top-drawer guitar. Larry Pattis play in a small venue at the Hillsboro, OR public library today. I've read comments by others of Larry's excellent guitar playing, and have listened to the tunes he has posted, but there's nothing like the real thing right in front of you. My girlfriend and I arrived a bit early, and Larry is so easy to talk with. A very, very nice guy. We talked about his Woolson guitar, his Bose set-up, and his style of music. As others came in, he easily engaged others as they asked him about his guitars and his music. When he began to play, magic was in the air. I loved his use of DADGAD, and many of the chord progressions and were exquisite. Larry has such a nice sense of touch, and the Woolson guitar was able to communicate that to us. What a lovely guitar, and I love the cedar top of the spruce/cedar double top Paul made for Larry. It's little wonder that Paul receives such high compliments for his guitars from folks on our forum. I downloaded all of the songs Paul placed on-line from those who played his travel guitar, and now I had an opportunity to hear an excellent guitarist play a Woolson guitar. All in all, it made for a wonderful afternoon and a great day here in the Pacific Northwest. Thank you, Larry...and thank you, Paul!

...and thanks to you, Bill, for coming out to listen to some guitar-music on a beautiful afternoon!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell