The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 AM

Default free song. critique and enjoy

put it all in my sig. www.myspace.com/codyrigby the song paper bullets should allow you to download.

please leave critique there and here.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:19 AM

Cody, I like the song (I don't have a myspace account so I can't comment there). I do have a couple of arrangement suggestions you might consider.

A strumming song is generally more interesting in a live setting because of the visual action. However, in a recording where there is no visual action, strumming can become monotonous. In this track, the strumming could have become monotonous on its own, but the background organ created a droning sound even sooner. I recommend that you take out the organ, or give it more variation, say some counter melody, pick-up notes, or harmony notes. Also, play with the strumming rhythm to achieve some variety there; alternate strumming patterns from verse to chorus to create a sense of emotion within the music. Also, don't overlook bringing the organ/keyboards in and out of the piece...once an instrument is introduced into the song, it doesn't have to stay there for the remainder of the song. If you have the capability of adding bass and drums they could give this song a huge lift. In my mind I could hear them coming in after some of the pauses in the song.

Okay, after all that, you probably think I didn't like it, but you would be wrong...I'm just trying to give you some ideas to polish it up a little bit more...it is a good song! Of course, others here will probably like it better as a minimal production!! lol Everyone's tastes are different, and that's a good thing! BTW - if you do make changes, I would like to hear them, so don't hesitate to post revisions!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 04-18-2009, 07:26 AM

I like it, strumming and all. (I also think the guitar part has pretty good variety as is.) The only change I'd make would be to bring the vocals up just a bit in the mix.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 AM

I think Bob's given some very good advice (as always). I agree with much of it what he suggets, too - but also like the more "minimal" sound as it is.

I'm no expert, but just going down or up an octave on the organ might add quite a bit without having to add a real lot to it. An octave lower for some parts, and then come up to the higher octave (like you play now) for a little more impact during other parts.

I think the song has quite a nice melody, something a little different and quite fun to hear. I like your singing, too.

"Undefined" is also very nice - love the fingerpicking at the beginning! and that one really builds up, too.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 04-19-2009, 01:23 PM

enjoyed that! very nice thanks for sharing it with us

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell