The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Default Fishman vs Bose

I would be remiss if I failed to mention that the first half of this comparison resides in an earlier post.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:32 AM

I've owned and gigged both in the past 4 months. The Bose compact really didn't come to life for me until I got the T1 tone match which is an additional,investment. The Bose seems to be able to handle more instruments at once provided they are in different areas in the sound spectrum with EQ. I run congas, acoustic, vocals, and mandolin/Uke/electric/or 2nd acoustic and it works great. My vocals are better/bigger/meatier in the Bose. The Fishman sounded better for pure acoustic guitar (and is simpler/quicker for an acoustic solo setup if you add in the need for the T1 or something with the Bose).

Both are great but the Bose is better for my groups current needs and more versatile. If I went solo I'd get the Fishman probably.

Last edited by shawntp; 08-24-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM

Those are good points and certainly support the fact that these two systems are certainly very similar, but they are also very different -- by design.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-25-2014, 03:26 AM

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope this thread isn't dead, but this
is a topic I am VERY interested in, so here goes.

I played music twenty years ago as a vocalist in cover bands and then
spent twenty years over-the-road driving a truck.

But I'm home now, I've bought me a nice little Takamine, a
workable Yamaha keyboard, and have "practiced up" about fifty
songs to choose from--mostly classic rock, grunge, and blues.

So anyway, I'm planning on a doing a very bare bones show,
just guitar/keyboard/vocal and maybe some reverb/delay,
and I'm in the hunt for the right PA. I have narrowed the choices
down to either the sa220 or L1 compact at this point and was looking
for some useful feedback if anyone has some.

I live in the rural boondocks, without the ability to do an IRL
comparison. And as most of the gigs I could get would be small (50 to
150 seat. biker bars and back-alley places) I'm leaning towards
the Bose L1 at the moment, based on what I read about it on the net.

Any feedback would be appreciated...and Hello again to all.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:53 AM

I have heard neither up close and personal so I can't give my personal opinion.
A while back a member here, Kramster, did a fairly thorough comparison. I thought the Bose Compact was the winner (although a couple others preferred the SoloAmp. However, Kramster also played keyboard and felt the the Bose was much better for keys because it reached a little lower in range so keep the keys in your discussion as you get other input here.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 AM

I traded my BOSE L1 with sub for the SoloAmp years ago and could not be happier. Back then I compared it to the Bose Compact and for me, there was no comparison - the SA220 won hands down. Kramster is right though about keys, I think you would do better with the BOSE Compact with the sub. To me though you need an external mixer that is more flexible than the mixer section of the Compact.
In that price range, you may want to look at the QSC powered cabs. A QSC K8 or K10 has great dispersion, excellent clarity and bottom end. One of those cabs and a good mixer might do you well.
davidc
Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 AM
*mahoganut*

Hi Darsky, and welcome to the AGF! You would have likely gotten more current information by just starting a thread on your own - but now that we're here - I'll just comment here.

On recommendation of a couple of gigging friends of mine, I bought a SA220 to replace a nice tube amp, and I'm quite happy with it. I've not played or compared any of the Bose, so I can't compare - I can only say that for a single player gig I did micing both my guitar and my voice, it worked flawlessly - and I took lines out to a Zoom recorder and the recording came out great as well.

I've used the SA220, paired with a second one, three years running for small (50 person) concerts both inside and outside at a local winery, with Eric Skye, and the sound is full, natural, and reaches "every crevice".

I've had some questions about my SA220, and Fishman support has been very helpful and responsive.

So although this might not help you decide between the two, I can assure you that you'd be happy with the SA220.

Best of luck, and again warm welcome!

Phil
Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 PM

I sold my Bose L1 with the Tonematch mixer for a SA220. I used the Bose for two years gigging and had trouble being heard in medium noise venues. It just didn't seem to cut through the mix, the mix of the people eating, drinking and basically have a good time. With the SA220 I cut right through and use less volume since it has more clarity and projection than the Bose. Not sure why but my ears and my audiences noticed a difference and reported that they like the SA220 much more. I think its easy to use, to set up, to store, to eq and will not feedback unless its placed incorrectly. I have it right beside me when I play these smaller to medium venues,(50-200 people).

Good luck. You cannot go wrong with either and the views in this forum reflect that.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Never owned a Bose system, but, sure do love my SA220.
Steve
Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 AM

As huge a fan as I am of the SA220, I don't think it's engineered to work optimally with keyboards, and my guess is that the Bose system would be better in that application. The SA is specifically designed (I've always thought) for the frequencies of the human voice and acoustic guitar. Their marketing message, too, I'm sure, has always conveyed that same idea. It's a great piece of gear, with features and performance that have worked flawlessly for me for quite a while, but with keyboards, I'd think you can find a better-suited system. Good luck; let us know what you do!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 AM

I just bought the SA 220 on sunday afternoon.been wanting this thing for years now.i set it up in my living room;sounds great...it didn't have the electric cord so I had to go back to GC and they gave me one...no manual either.....I have a gig at a small restaurant /bar this sat nite.any advice for EQ's OR ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW? THANKS!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:17 AM

No cord or manual??? Was it new in an unopened box?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I just bought the SA 220 on sunday afternoon.been wanting this thing for years now.i set it up in my living room;sounds great...it didn't have the electric cord so I had to go back to GC and they gave me one...no manual either.....I have a gig at a small restaurant /bar this sat nite.any advice for EQ's OR ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW? THANKS!
eyesore - if it was new it should have contained both the manual and cord, in the travel case (I presume you got the travel case!?).

Anyway, here's the manual, online from Fishman:
http://www.fishman.com/files/sa220_user_guide.pdf

It's a well written manual and should give you what you need.

Best,

Phil
Old 01-29-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
(This is actually quite a different topic than the thread, but...) I use the SA and my preferred reverb setting is #2; if your volume is up at all and you're edging on any feedback, play with the notch filter and you'll be able to dial-out most any problem. Your aux input on the back is great for break music from your iPod if that's your deal. I place my SA about three feet behind me and a foot or so to the left... They're pretty simple as you know, and these are just some of the ways I use it, so just EQ your guitar and mic channels to your liking and have a great time. It's a great set-up.

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 PM

hey guys; I'm gonna play with this SA220 on Friday to get a handle on it....as far as no manual or cord...don't know...? it was in a box when I bought it.."fishman" responded and made it right.so ....no biggie. I just hope I don't feedback in this place .they are very sensitive management.thanks for the advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification