The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Default DSLR Camera recommendations

I have an old Pentax (1987) SLR camera and it's time to get into the modern age and buy a digital but I have no idea what to get. Just starting to read up on them and I would appreciate any suggestions that can narrow my reading material down some. ie brands, options etc.

For example, I was considering buying a video camera as well. is it best to buy these cameras seperate or are they making good quality cameras now with both functions?

Two is buying used a good choice or is it a little risky, and how much do cameras depreciate with age?

I'm looking to spend around $1000 but I would go higher if there was a camera that produced a substantial improvement in quality/versatility for a little more money (say $200-300).
Old 10-12-2010, 02:02 PM

Hi:

1) What do you want to shoot? If you are looking for a camera to shoot sports for example (even of your kids locally,) your choice might be different than for general photography.

2) Pay attention to lenses. I would suggest that you consider putting more $$ into the lenses than the body.

3) Used is good if you trust the seller.

4) Digital bodies depreciate quite a bit as the technology has not matured yet.

5) Can't go to far wrong with Canon or Nikon. Look at them as a system (that is what lenses, flash, ect..) when you buy. Third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, ect...) have some great deals and quality and some lenses that are not so good so do your homework

I doubt you will find real differences in quality of pics at 1K with the bodies. Lenses will vary re quality quite a bit. You may also find that some bodies have features and "ergonomics" (feel and usability) that you like more than others. Look at the body's overall speed, autofocus abilities, ability to use older lenses, menu system. These will likely make more of a discernible difference to you than the quality of the pics (very close today I think.)

dpreview has some decent overviews of cameras. The forum there is kind of notoriously airheaded.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

The Fred Miranda site has a nice forum in which you can search and ask for suggestions, an equipment review section, and a buy/sell for used equipment that is usually quite reliable re quality.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

I shoot a Nikon D700 with a basket full of lenses.
I shoot interiors part time for a living (I'm really "retired").

Cheers,

P.S. you might as well start thinking about what post processing software you want too.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Me

I have a digital SLR Nikon with the Nikon 28-200 VR lens. It is a great camera and fabulous lens. I almost never use it except for difficulty focusing or if I need to use a polarising filter. I picked up a Cannon SX120. I can do almost everything I need with that, plus it takes great movies, uses 2 AA batteries, has full manual mode (except focus), large screen, and has image stabilization. All this for 1/4 of what I paid for my lens.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM

Craig has it right, you need to specify your goals.

I've owned pretty much all the brands because I'm addicted to buying gear. They all have their strengths. Pentax is a niche player, but they have some wonderful prime lenses. Sony's models are eclectic, but there are some innovative features on their newest models. The big two are, of course, Canon and Nikon, and you can't go far wrong with either.

If you're looking to keep it under $1000 with lens, I'd consider the Nikon D3100 or a used D90 and an 18-105mm VR lens.

As far as video, most current dSLRs will do video, but there are caveats. Most don't autofocus while recording, many have an unpleasant "jello" effect if you pan them quickly or what you are taping includes a lot of movement. You can do some great quality video, including small depth of field shots you could only do with very expensive equipment before, but they're nowhere near the ease of use of a camcorder.

Cameras depreciate a lot with age, but good lenses don't. Something to keep in mind.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM

You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon, as somebody said already. My daughter did some extensive research a year or so back and decided that Canon (don't remember the model) was the best choice in our budget. If you have a number of lenses for your Pentax, you might take a look at some of their digital SLRs, they've gotten pretty good reviews and they're the only company whose lenses are 100% backwards compatible. That is, any lens they've ever made will work with their digital models, even the old manual lenses, although you might need a mount adapter (not likely for a 1987 model).
AFAIK, the only cameras with both still and video capability are either point and shoot or video cameras (with still settings), but I may be wrong.
Good luck,
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:45 PM

I'm a Nikon man and like many others have said, I've bought a cheap body and then focused on getting some decent lens.
-Cort SFX6R, signed by Tommy Emmanuel FOR SALE!
-Epiphone Les Paul FOR SALE!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I loved Nikon standard filmss, but was let down by my Nikon Digital. I like the processing of Canon better for the way I shoot.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 10-12-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRyder View Post
P.S. you might as well start thinking about what post processing software you want too.
That's a very good point. There'll be some software that will come with your DSLR (if you buy new), but you'll probably be wanting something more powerful once you get into digital photography a bit more. I'm a Pentax guy, but I stuck with them because I have such a large investment in lenses from my film days. Depending upon what lenses you have for your old Pentax, that may or may not be a good direction for you to go, too. I WILL say that Pentax's current DSLRs are really good although there's only 3 of us out of about 120 members in my camera club that use them. lol
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 10-12-2010, 05:38 PM

I have a Canon Rebel t1i - and I like it very much. There is now a t2i model out.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Have a Nikon D5000. Very happy with it. B&H Photo had the best price and their service is outstanding. Free shipping and no tax.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 PM

Besides Canon and Nikon, both of which are excellent, look at Olympus. My wife has been using a Canon D20 (I think), which takes excellent pictures, but recently bought an Olympus something-or-other because it was much lighter and easier to lug around when traveling. She reported that she is very happy with it.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:38 PM

We bought a Nikon kit and have been very happy with it. After learning how to use it we have gotten some great pics. It's really the glass that counts though and the price of the camera pails in comparison.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 10-12-2010, 07:09 PM

For the long term Canon or Nikon are the only ones I would consider. Once you make a choice and buy some lenses, you are stuck with that brand. Canon and Nikon are always in a race for the latest technology. I use Nikon. A lens makes the picture, so buy the best for your budget.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird
Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Ok I've learned a lot so far. Sounds like the lens is where to spend the money. Do they usually sale the lens separate from the body though? I know there are tons of lenses you can get but don't they usually come with a standard lens (50mm) or is the lens a decision you have to make from the get go.
As far as what i want to shoot, I do a lot of hiking in the mountains and such and would like a camera that is good for taking shots of nature, animals and such but eventually I would like to expand into other areas; people still life's. Can't see me getting into a lot of action photos but you never know. It's just going to be a hobby to start but will see how good I get.

How important is mega pixels and what determines the amount of mega pixels in picture the body or the lens? I'm looking for something that won't be obsolete in a year or two. If I can get a good quality camera for around $1000 with a decent starter lens, maybe just a 18-55mm to begin, that would be great, as long as I can add on later.

I don't think I can justify the price for a D700 at this time, although it seems like a popular choice of camera. However, I would be interested in knowing what you get in that camera that you don't in one that goes for $1000.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM

I love my canon t2i. I expected to use the video more than I do. I have the kit lens and a telephoto zoom. I had an old Olympus OM10- and i don't miss film at all. I have taken more than 9000 shots sine June.

-a couple of Taylors
-Silver Creek T-170 (passed on to my daughter)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic