The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 09:50 PM

My husband and I live in a 2 story house with my brother. Both my brother and I play. So there are multiple instruments in the house. Most are in the living room. Looking around, I see 7 guitars, 2 ukuleles and a mandolin. The guitars are all on racks or stands. There is a guitar in another 1st floor room. A couple of guitars (maybe even 3) are in the basement in their cases. And I'm fairly certain there is a cased guitar in the spare bedroom. Most of the cases are in that room or in the 1st floor "mud room". Thankfully, this fall/winter, we are having the basement finished. That will become our music room. We are desperately looking forward to that. Our living room is far too small for 7 guitars!

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 09-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Usually I have them all in our music/computer room but once in a while 1 or 2 will sneak into the adjacent family room.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Right now, in two.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 09-21-2017, 08:26 PM

I live in a studio apartment... so all three are in one room.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:10 PM

Two in bedroom hanging on wall -- this is where most of my practice takes place. One at work hanging in office. One in trunk of car -- a cheapo beater -- because everyone needs a mobile music unit!!

Fender CD60ce
Yamaha FGX720SC
Taylor 410ce
Old 09-22-2017, 03:59 AM

3 rooms

2 in the den
4 in the living room/music room
1 in my office and the rest in cases in my office
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-22-2017, 04:59 AM

Mainly in the spare bedroom and living room. But that is just my guitars. My son keeps his mostly on the landing outside his room and/or in his room. And both of us may leave guitars in the family room if we are practicing and get distracted and/or tuckered out.

Here he is in the family room in the latter scenario. The 1966 Harmony hog top is technically mine but he is the main one playing and leaving it in various/sundry places in the house.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:29 AM

If you leave your guitars out all the time, is it advisable to climate control your home for relative humidity?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:56 AM
Musical minimalist

Well, I live in two rooms, so the answer is one

Old 09-22-2017, 06:46 AM

They all live in their cases in the man cave apart from an old Sigma dread which can end up anywhere. I forget where I last played it and often have to hunt it down.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie.egg View Post
If you leave your guitars out all the time, is it advisable to climate control your home for relative humidity?
It's a good idea. If not the whole house, at least control the room where you keep them.

I don't have much on an issue with too much humidity, at least not to the point where I worry about it.

During the winter I run a humidifier. On those occasional stretches of very cold dry weather when it can't keep up, I put the guitars in their case with a Planet Waves/D'Addario sponge humidifier.

We're only talking two guitars here so it's not a big chore.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I have a "guitar room," so named because that's where the guitars are. Most are on wall hangers, one on a stand. It's a small house, all on one level. If I want to play a guitar while on the couch in the living room, it is only a few steps away.

Living in a cottage type home, there is no room for "stuff out of place," so the guitar room concept works for us.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:17 AM

I jam every Friday night at a local cafe at the invitation of an 83 year old Texas music legend who plays lead breaks for everyone's songs. In getting to become friends with him I have learned he is what you'd have to call a guitar hoarder. EVERY room in his house has cased guitars stacked stacked around every wall, floor to ceiling. His acoustic collection alone numbers well over a 100 guitars! This includes two Ren Ferguson built gift guitars. He has masking tape labels on the cases to identify the guitars in the stacks. He recently joked his kids have no interest in his guitars and will probably unload them at a yard sale when he dies. I thought about asking him to adopt me! He also said his wife long ago gave up complaining about his collection. We should all be so lucky!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:29 AM

I have guitars in three rooms.

After 49 years of marriage, I know that when my wife tells me she's ready to go somewhere she's actually 10 to 15 minutes from stepping out the door.

That's why I have a guitar on a stand in my living room. I can quickly grab it and get in some good play time instead of just standing around waiting.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:38 AM

I've got 9 guitars hanging in my office/studio/2nd bedroom and the rest cased in the other bedroom. I'm going to have to get the guitars out of the master bedroom. I've been told.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion