The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2017, 01:23 PM

Default Seagull acoustic future value

Do you think that Seagull guitars will appreciate with time? I mean like 10 to 20 years.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:47 PM

While I am fond of Seagulls, and I have owned four of them, these are entry level guitars, not investment securities. I would be surprised if they appreciated noticeably.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF, murman. While Seagulls are very fine guitars for the money, I agree with Misifus. Hope you enjoy the forum.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:34 PM

While I really like and enjoy my Seagull M6 Spruce, I can't imagine being able to sell it for as much or any more than I paid when I bought it thirteen years ago.

It's more of a guitar to play rather than an investment.

Still, anything can happen...I have a fountain pen I bought around the same time for probably under $20.00. The reviews back then often were along the lines of "It's a good pen for the money." (Sound familiar?) I thought it was a great pen. Nowadays, people tend to agree and it's worth significantly more.
You might be sitting on a gold mine.

...and I wish I'd kept that '65 Mustang.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:44 PM

I think that maybe the signature models like the Peppino D'agostino may rise in value.
But like Alvarez, they are good tools. Don't think they were ever meant to be collectible.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 09-17-2017, 04:58 PM

Welcome to the AGF family, murman, glad to have you with us! Hope you'll stick around and enjoy joining in the conversation. I agree with what the others here are saying, except for one minor difference: inflation. In 20 years, the S6 that you now buy new for $400, in 20 years might bring a little bit more if it's in great shape. Of course, everything would be more expensive then, so while the S6 might look like it's worth more, it's actually worth less, in terms of what a dollar will buy then. The higher end Seagulls, say an Artist Cameo CW that sells today for $1350, might not do quite as well. Sometimes, the more expensive the guitar, the greater the depreciation, unless it is one of the relatively few iconic, big demand models.

In any case, I think it takes a very well educated understanding of the used guitar market, together with a gambler's heart to invest in most of today's guitars for the purpose of making money when selling them 20 years from now. A 10-year window would probably make it even less likely to make money on a used Seagull, like most guitars, acoustic or electric.

cotten
Old 09-17-2017, 05:06 PM

Murman, most of the used Seagull guitars I see on sale typically go for about $300-$350. While in Vancouver, British Columbia last September I picked up a used Seagull Folk model for the equivalent of $186 USD.

They're great utilitarian players, though. They're the sort of guitars that really won't gain you much if you sell them, so you might as well hang onto them as backup instruments even when you step up to something fancier.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 09-17-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-17-2017, 06:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the information and the welcome. Nice to be here. The acoustic that I currently have and play is a 70's vintage Ibanez Concord. My electrics are a 72 ES-335 and a new MIM Telecaster Standard.
Again..thank you all.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:58 PM

Not many guitars appreciate over time. Used guitars sell for less than new guitars generally speaking, with just a few exceptions.
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 09-18-2017, 04:35 AM

So my Esteban/Randy Jackson IRA collection was not a good idea?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:42 AM

Default seagull value

Hey murman,I remember watching a recent video with Joe Bonamassa holding a Mary Kay strat mentioning owning guitars based on what they may be worth is a terrible idea,he mentioned he bought it and did no verification what so ever.
Having said that I look at the flip side of the coin,I too own a Godin guitar(Norman st68).After watching as many factory tours of "the big makers",I found that for basically less than 1/3 the price I have a guitar that has the same components and build techniques and I feel can hang with any of them.

Long story short,once I was able to differentiate value vs worth it made my purchase a no brainer and as years go by it'll only get more worthyable?!? to me,lol
Take care.
Kris.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:03 AM

Collecting/value isn't always about money.

For some, it's reinforcing fond memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyJLTKkSyQ
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM

In 10 - 20 years, they'll be worth that much, 10-20 bucks.
Depends upon model but check local CL and you'll see none of the Seagulls go for any more than few hundred dollars.
Acoustic electric versions are listed here for around 300 and they are still listed for over a month.
S6 are regularly listed for less than 200 and still sit for weeks.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 AM

Welcome to the AGF, Murman! Like others have posted I don't think Segulls will appreciate in value. Nice guitars though.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Murman, most of the used Seagull guitars I see on sale typically go for about $300-$350. While in Vancouver, British Columbia last September I picked up a used Seagull Folk model for the equivalent of $186 USD.

They're great utilitarian players, though. They're the sort of guitars that really won't gain you much if you sell them, so you might as well hang onto them as backup instruments even when you step up to something fancier.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
th seagull folk models are great beach guitars, and i've found them over time for under 200 canadian, and as low as fifty cad. i passed them all on to young guys. but great players, but not going to be collectable

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion