The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Halcyons aren't half the price of a J-15 anymore. I think the base price is now $1,600CA. Next summer, hopefully, lol.
I wonder what I was thinking?

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 09-22-2017, 12:49 AM
Guest 1511

I'm not going to focus on brands or models, because that is too subjective. Go out there and play as many as you can. When I first started buying acoustic guitars I did not do this. I just bought what others said I should, or what I could afford, or the first or second one I played. This is not the way to do it. Play play play as many as you can. Then decide. Buying used is a gamble. The prices are better but you don't always get what you think you're getting. If you're willing to do some guitar flipping if it comes to it, then used is a good way to go. If you're not into that, you can still find used guitars in guitar stores too and I've come across a few gems that way.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:34 AM

I'm sorry, but I gotta be the jerk to say it, I don't think you know what you want. The Taylor 322 and the Gibson J15 and wildly different guitars in every respect. Buying a guitar based mostly on country of origin and all solid woods is a recipe for ending up with a guitar that you think you want, with only a chance that it's a keeper.

While both are fine guitars, I really wonder how you came down to these two?

My advice is to ignore GAS, do more footwork and take your time. Buy in person only when you're ready.

I wish you luck, but I think you should wait a while and really hone in on your personal preferences.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-22-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I'm sorry, but I gotta be the jerk to say it, I don't think you know what you want. The Taylor 322 and the Gibson J15 and wildly different guitars in every respect. Buying a guitar based mostly on country of origin and all solid woods is a recipe for ending up with a guitar that you think you want, with only a chance that it's a keeper.

While both are fine guitars, I really wonder how you came down to these two?

My advice is to ignore GAS, do more footwork and take your time. Buy in person only when you're ready.

I wish you luck, but I think you should wait a while and really hone in on your personal preferences.

Your right! That's why I'm looking into this around 7months befor actually buying . Taking suggestions as for the taylor and Gibson I like the way they sound.probably because I haven't played a guitar with that wood combination before. I'm really fond of the neck of the j15 and love rosewood so I might see what's out therein rosewood
Old 09-22-2017, 06:52 AM

I personally like the j-35 better. It has AJ bracing. Plus uses more traditional honduran mahogany in body and neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion