The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Well, if the saddle fell out and its a compensated saddle and you put it back in reverse it might mess things up a bit. Take off the strings, spend another $7 on another set, maybe back the the Martin Lifespans or even their everyday strings and try again. Changing strings won't throw off the intonation if you're going lights to lights. I can't imagine even going lights to medium would even do that.
^ This. Good advice to check that the saddle didn't get turned around, and new set of strings will tell you quickly and cheaply whether a visit to the luthier is in order.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 PM

It has happened to me, with each of my steel stringed guitars, and it wasn't caused by a bad set of strings, or a saddle installed backwards.

Part of my search for the best set of strings has been to find the best combination of tone, feel and intonation. Lower tension strings tended to fret flat unless I raised the saddle and action, which I didn't want to do.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 PM

Wow, thanks for all the answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post

... BUT *7* MONTHS WITHOUT CHANGING STRINGS?...
Haha. I meant I changed the strings once during those seven months, so maybe I'm just half as lazy?

But: No saddles dropped etc. during the string change, everything went normal. The weather has been unnormally cold and wet (this is Finland, so that's saying quite a lot!), so I wouldn't rule out that effecting the guitar.

I'll get the Martin strings and report back. I miss so much that booming low-E! It always reminded me of a grand piano in some weird way.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:52 PM

I encountered the same problem on my Martin Jeff Tweedy . D'addario strings are 12-53 with a 24 on the G string . Martin gauges for lights are 12-54 with a 25 on the 3rd . Martin strings work well on my Martin but any light 12-53 set with a 24 on the 3rd changes the tension
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-22-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Relic View Post
I encountered the same problem on my Martin Jeff Tweedy . D'addario strings are 12-53 with a 24 on the G string . Martin gauges for lights are 12-54 with a 25 on the 3rd . Martin strings work well on my Martin but any light 12-53 set with a 24 on the 3rd changes the tension
I wouldn't have thought it was possible to make that much difference myself but after 4 or 5 years of using Martin SP4100s I put some D'addario EJ16s on my Maton thinking they'd be the same. the action lowered noticeably & I was getting plenty of fret buzz for my fairly aggressive style of strumming.

Didn't want to go down the path of adjusting truss rods so put Martins back on in a few weeks, problem solved, higher action & better tolerance to harder picking & strumming not to mention a stronger & better defined tone. Don't ask me why, I would have thought the overall tension was about the same, it just turned out that way.

Nothing against D'addarios either. I always use them for my 12 string & my electrics as well.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 09-22-2017, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

The OPput light guage strings (the Dads) light guage are a bit light for a dreadnought.

If he is used to playing mediums (didn't say what gauge his SPs were) then he might be fretting too hard and bending the light gauge strings out of tune.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:02 AM

Using strings from a different company will produce a different tone. Is it possible to get a bad set of strings? Yes, but in my experience it is quite rare. I've had one bad set in the past 10 years which includes around 100 string changes. Is it possible that while changing the strings some element of your guitar's setup was altered? Yes, but again that would be extremely unusual.

My experience suggests to me that the most likely cause of the intonation problem is that you may not have stretched the strings properly when you changed them. Without doing that it will take the strings a good while to settle in to a state where they will maintain their pitch properly.

If you're not familiar with how to stretch strings after a change here's a video to help (instruction begins at 0:50 of the video):

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-22-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Using strings from a different company will produce a different tone. Is it possible to get a bad set of strings? Yes, but in my experience it is quite rare. I've had one bad set in the past 10 years which includes around 100 string changes. Is it possible that while changing the strings some element of your guitar's setup was altered? Yes, but again that would be extremely unusual.

My experience suggests to me that the most likely cause of the intonation problem is that you may not have stretched the strings properly when you changed them. Without doing that it will take the strings a good while to settle in to a state where they will maintain their pitch properly.

If you're not familiar with how to stretch strings after a change here's a video to help (instruction begins at 0:50 of the video):

Don't know who the guy in the video is, but he's talking rubbish. The strings don't 'stretch', they snug up tight against the post when pulled hard and which is the whole point of the exercise: and you don't need to pull along it as he's doing because that does nothing. Just grab the string in the middle and yank it up, away from the fingerboard, a few times. The part about 'stretching' them behind the nut is also completely pointless.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Don't know who the guy in the video is, but he's talking rubbish. The strings don't 'stretch', they snug up tight against the post when pulled hard and which is the whole point of the exercise: and you don't need to pull along it as he's doing because that does nothing. Just grab the string in the middle and yank it up, away from the fingerboard, a few times. The part about 'stretching' them behind the nut is also completely pointless.
Calling it "stretching" is simply semantics. Taking umbrage at his technique is your prerogative but is irrelevant to the OP's problem and what needs to be accomplished. What's important is that the strings have some give around the tuning post and at the seating point under the pin against the bridge plate. Pulling on the strings to tighten at the peg and seat at the plate is what is important for intonation/tuning stability.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 AM

Default stringed along

Keep in mind that after 7 months, any strings added will radically sound different. And I would no longer trust my aural memory of what the old strings sounded like when they were new.

As far as the intonation issues are concerned, it may be something other than the strings. Since they sound "wrong" (and louder) to you, it may be that you are listening more critically and hear something that was there all along.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:49 AM

Again; I meant I changed the strings once during 7 months, so they were like 3.5 months at their "oldest"
Old 09-23-2017, 12:27 PM

Ok, I got a set of .012 Martin SP's and what a difference! That deep resonant sound is back and the guitar is alive again. I'm impressed I must say. Volume increased too, and intonation is back on track. Unbelievably big difference! Needless to say I'll stick with Martins from now on.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:13 PM

I’m still baffled at the intonation thing.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:51 PM

Could be the same gauges from different manufacturers have different tension.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion