The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 01:02 PM

I got feedback from Planet Waves,
Quote:
I don't think there is an anything that will fix that.
, they have seen the pictures and read what I've done.

They redirected my mail to their technical expert and if he will have any advice, he will write to me. But I think the matter is clear already now.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:I don't think there is an anything that will fix that.
they have seen the pictures and read what I've done.

They redirected my mail to their technical expert and if he will have any advice, he will write to me. But I think the matter is clear already now.

Wow, pending if the technical expert gets back to you, that is really a tepid response. If I was ever tempted to buy their products, I'm not now.

Keep us posted if you ever try any solvents on it. Sorry this happened. As a way to maybe salvage it's appearance there's a polish I used on one of my satin Larrivee's that put a semi-gloss on it. It's not abrasive and the shine is from some kind of magic chemistry. (Which incidentally, I tried some denatured alcohol on and it didn't change. . .) Short of sanding down the finish, it might be the best you can do for it. Can't recall name, but will check back with it as well as pics.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
Quote:I don't think there is an anything that will fix that.
they have seen the pictures and read what I've done.

Wow, pending if the technical expert gets back to you, that is really a tepid response. If I was ever tempted to buy their products, I'm not now.

Keep us posted if you ever try any solvents on it. Sorry this happened. As a way to maybe salvage it's appearance there's a polish I used on one of my satin Larrivee's that put a semi-gloss on it. It's not abrasive and the shine is from some kind of magic chemistry. (Which incidentally, I tried some denatured alcohol on and it didn't change. . .) Short of sanding down the finish, it might be the best you can do for it. Can't recall name, but will check back with it as well as pics.
There is nothing wrong with Planet Waves polishes, the fault is totally mine. The polish products are designed for glossy surfaces, not matte.

Thank you for your empathy but even I am not sorry for whitish blemishes on top of my LX1. The guitar initially had IKEA style look, so some light scratches are o.k.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:17 PM

Interesting to read the varying (and sometimes contradicting) advice given here.

I know from reading various threads over the years that many people think that buffing our a matte finish is an easy and good thing to do, and I am sure that many people try it. I wouldn't...but I am cautious (overly cautious?) about trying things that I haven't researched pretty thoroughly.

I appreciate this thread...it has shown that many are willing to offer well-intentioned advice, but it can be pretty hard to get definitive input until you consult an experienced expert (and, if you consult more than one expert, you STILL might receive diverging opinions).

Glad OP doesn't view this failed experiment as a calamity. It isn't, of course...but we guitar enthusiasts sometimes get a bit over wrought about minor guitar-related developments.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:24 PM

Looking at the products used, I don't see anything abrasive, so I'm not sure why people think he polished off any of the finish.
If he had been using some kind of abrasive, yes, of course it is pretty easy to do if the finish is thin, but from the bottle it looks like it is just a cleaner.
I wouldn't discard the theory of the cleaner got trapped in the satin finish and could be removed with a solvent.
Now, of course, if the OP with the guitar in front of him can see he got to bare wood, then yes, solvent wouldn't solve anything.

But unless the picture is not color balanced, that doesn't look like the color of spruce to me. It does look like the residue of white cleaner solution to me.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
Looking at the products used, I don't see anything abrasive, so I'm not sure why people think he polished off any of the finish.
If he had been using some kind of abrasive, yes, of course it is pretty easy to do if the finish is thin, but from the bottle it looks like it is just a cleaner.
I wouldn't discard the theory of the cleaner got trapped in the satin finish and could be removed with a solvent.
Now, of course, if the OP with the guitar in front of him can see he got to bare wood, then yes, solvent wouldn't solve anything.

But unless the picture is not color balanced, that doesn't look like the color of spruce to me. It does look like the residue of white cleaner solution to me.

It is a 3-step polishing system, starting with a fine abrasive rubbing compound.

That is the color of naked Sitka spruce.

It isn't a residue left by the polish/wax.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:18 PM

I know what I would do with it if it were mine.
As it stands it looks fairly bad JMO.
Option 1: I would try to use the stuff already used and make it uniformly bad.
Option 2: leave it as is.
In either case get a bottle of Old English Furniture and Scratch Polish and apply it evenly over the entire surface. Wipe off any excess and let it set overnight.
Examine it in the morning and there will definitely be a tint. If you want more tint, re-apply and go through the same procedure.
Some may argue it won't penetrate the guitar's finish. They would be wrong.
I did this on a Taylor 114 I screwed up and it looked much better, pretty much like "road worn"and aged. Better than it was by quite a bit.
I am not responsible for your results. Personally, I would not leave it like it is.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Sand to wood, shellac french polish finish.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
Sand to wood, shellac french polish finish.
That's great if you got the tools and the patience or you got some bucks for a very good luthier.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-21-2017, 04:57 PM

Which Planet Waves product did you use (exactly). Is there a link? How did you "buff" your guitar? Did you use the product exactly as directed and intended? Were there any warnings not to use on certain finishes or circumstance?

I'm not sure I'm going with this at the moment, but if you used the product as directed, then I would have to wonder, if you the user are wholly responsible for the damage if you used the product as intended?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-21-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Which Planet Waves product did you use (exactly). Is there a link? How did you "buff" your guitar? Did you use the product exactly as directed and intended? Were there any warnings not to use on certain finishes or circumstance?

I'm not sure I'm going with this at the moment, but if you used the product as directed, then I would have to wonder, if you the user are wholly responsible for the damage if you used the product as intended?
He's not blaming anyone. He knows he messed up. He's asking for ways to rectify it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-21-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 PM

Got feedback from the Planet Waves technical guy, verdict: it is irreversible and no solution exist to reverse the situation.

I just want to add that I did not read any material on the internet how to buff matte to gloss prior to my polishing.

I was just polishing high-gloss top of Sitka Spruce guitar as I did many times before. Then decided lightly to use the stuff on my 000-15M (matte all mahogany) and after polishing it appeared slightly glossy, just like after 'elbow rubbing' and I liked it, and then I was thinking why not to try LX1. And so it happened.

Later on I discovered that this topic was covered by many forum threads here and elsewhere, but I only read them post factum.

So, it was not my 'dream' to convert LX1 to gloss, just pure impulse of the moment.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:15 AM

You've got a nice campfire/beater guitar now?

You could always strip the original finish completely and try your hand at giving
the guitar a French polish? Would probably sound more resonant after doing so.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
...I was just polishing high-gloss top of Sitka Spruce guitar as I did many times before. Then decided lightly to use the stuff on my 000-15M (matte all mahogany) and after polishing it appeared slightly glossy, just like after 'elbow rubbing' and I liked it, and then I was thinking why not to try LX1. And so it happened...
You understand the problem all too well now. However, for the benefit of anyone else watching the issue, these guitars have different finishes.

Martin's gloss finish and satin finishes on 15 Series and up are similar thicknesses. However the X-Series and similar instruments use what they call "Hand Rubbed" finish, which is very thin, little more than a sealer coat. You'd have a very hard time polishing through the gloss or satin finishes on the Nazareth-built guitars, but the Hand Rubbed finish is another story, as you found out the hard way.

I'm an adventurous sort, and pragmatic. That would make me want to put some type of finish back on the LX1, if only to protect the spruce from dirt and grime. I'd lightly sand the top to bare wood, being careful not to sand too much and thin the top. Then I'd use some sort of wipe on finish - whatever is readily available locally. It might not be the ideal guitar finish, or something I'd recommend on a new build, but this is not the ideal situation.

All that said, I appreciate your calm approach to the whole thing.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:52 AM

I think it looks pretty cool that way.

Probably not a helpful comment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion