The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Martin Custom Order Question

I placed an order for a custom HD-28 about 2 months ago. Basically I just changed the nut width to 1-3/4 and changed some of the inlay. I know I can expect several months before it will be ready to pick up. I am wondering is Martin has a way to track the progress of your build without worrying the dealer to death. Also if you have done a custom Martin, what was your experience? I love my D18 and my HD35 and I am hoping I can expect the same if not better quality with my custom. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:20 PM

My understanding is that there is no way to track as a custom order like that, involving spec changes, goes through the normal production process with the change noted on the build sheet. Your expectations should be the same as a production model of the same general type, in other words, excellent.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

What's the up charge for a special order?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-21-2017, 12:48 AM

How much do they charge you extra from Sitka spruce to Adirondack and Sitka spruce to Engelman?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:11 AM

cant remember each upcharge. The custom builder on Martin's website will tell you what every upcharge is.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 AM

I have done a custom order through Martin and, no, you can't track it. It was a bit unsettling for me, especially given that it was a six month process, but essentially you put your order in and forget it. I must say, however, that the guitar was finished exactly on time and was everything I had hoped for.

My custom Huss & Dalton was a very different experience. That was a three month build process and (through my dealer) they sent photos from time to time. One of my requests was to have a headstock with an "interesting grain pattern." The folks at H&D sent me photos of several wood options and asked me to choose.

Two very different experiences, but in both cases I got exactly what I wanted.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
My understanding is that there is no way to track as a custom order like that, involving spec changes, goes through the normal production process with the change noted on the build sheet. Your expectations should be the same as a production model of the same general type, in other words, excellent.
You're correct that this sort of thing can't be tracked task by task. However, a custom order doesn't go through the normal production process any now. They are built in the Custom Shop. Before 2007 or so, you'd be correct. Then all Custom Shop guitars went through the normal line, with specific people performing certain things depending on the complexity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
cant remember each upcharge. The custom builder on Martin's website will tell you what every upcharge is.
The online tool is woefully inaccurate. You really need to talk to a dealer to know the actual cost.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 AM

I think the reason you can't track these "special orders" is because some folks would be asking every day.
What would be nice is if Martin sent out an email "progress report" say, every 60 days or whatever.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-21-2017, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

I just took delivery of a custom D18 where I also changed the neck, in the opposite direction as you. There is no tracking. Martin at best is apathetic and non responsive. You are supposed to direct all communication through your dealer. Mine was great... MFG.

It took exactly six months.

By the way, love my guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion