The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Default Neck size opinions.

I have a Mike Hauver Auditorium 12 String. When I ordered it (about a year ago) I was into big-thick necks, but when I got the guitar, I had to send it back to have the neck made smaller - the neck was huge! Actually it was my fault for providing the wrong specs to Mike when he was building the guitar. I got the guitar back after the neck was made thinner and have been playing it now for about 6 months. I'm still thinking the neck is too thick. It is difficult to wrap my thumb around to fret the low E strings.

How many people like a big thick neck on a 12 string?

Another question is - how can I provide good specs for further modifications on the neck? I have another ladder-braced 12 that has a neck that I love. I used a pin-gauge to trace the neck shape so that Mike would have a template to go by. It was close, but still thicker than I like. I want to get the neck modified once more. Is there a way to provide accurate measurements at different points on the neck? What should I do? I'm going to be talking with Mike but thought I'd throw the question out here as well. Help!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
I have a Mike Hauver Auditorium 12 String. When I ordered it (about a year ago) I was into big-thick necks, but when I got the guitar, I had to send it back to have the neck made smaller - the neck was huge! Actually it was my fault for providing the wrong specs to Mike when he was building the guitar. I got the guitar back after the neck was made thinner and have been playing it now for about 6 months. I'm still thinking the neck is too thick. It is difficult to wrap my thumb around to fret the low E strings.

How many people like a big thick neck on a 12 string?

Another question is - how can I provide good specs for further modifications on the neck? I have another ladder-braced 12 that has a neck that I love. I used a pin-gauge to trace the neck shape so that Mike would have a template to go by. It was close, but still thicker than I like. I want to get the neck modified once more. Is there a way to provide accurate measurements at different points on the neck? What should I do? I'm going to be talking with Mike but thought I'd throw the question out here as well. Help!
Pete,
Okay.........You took a template of an existing neck that you like, right? Does that guitar have the same body shape, diameter, depth, etc, of the Hauver?

If not, you're discovering that the centerline to your fretting hand is slightly different, and it's making a difference in how it feels in your hand.

If the pin gauge shows that he got it right, then body shape, and how it sits on your leg, could be about the only thing that's different.

If you want to 'get it right', again, go there in person while he's shaving it down, under tension, and play it until it feels perfect.

Regards,
Howard
http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM

Howard, I think you hit the nail on the head. The "other" guitar is a smaller grand concert sized instrument. Unfortunately, Mike is is Maryland and I'm in New Jersey. I guess I could drive there... I'll try talking with Mike and explaining to him what I'm looking for. Mike is a great guy to work with. Thanks for your insights!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion