The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Default T5 electrical issues

I'm really enjoying my new T5 Classic but must say I'm having issues with the electronics. The volume of the neck pickup was not balanced across the strings evenly when I took delivery. The B and small E string were significantly quieter. Also, the switch in the 3rd position was problematic if pushed back and forth a little. My dealer got a new "enhanced" neck pickup from Taylor and solved the first problem. The technician adjusted the switch, but after another few weeks, I'm still having problems.

Regarding the first issue, curious why Taylor is sending out new 2010 model guitars with a known issue (neck pickup not balanced). I'm sure I'll get Taylor to replace the 5-way switch, but this is not Taylor quality. I have two Fenders that are over 10 years old, have been banged around the country, and never a problem.

This is my 4th Taylor guitar, so I have nothing against Taylor. Just seems that the quality of the electronics leave a little to be desired. But I love the tone, playability, etc. etc.

Anyone else having issues like this?
1982 Martin HD-28
2008 Fender USA Deluxe Strat
2000 Fender USA Tele
1997 Fender Deluxe J-Bass

http://www.theclearwaterband.com
Old 05-05-2010, 09:53 AM

I have not heard of these issues, have you contacted Taylor?
Old 05-05-2010, 03:00 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by echuber View Post
I'm really enjoying my new T5 Classic but must say I'm having issues with the electronics. The volume of the neck pickup was not balanced across the strings evenly when I took delivery. The B and small E string were significantly quieter. Also, the switch in the 3rd position was problematic if pushed back and forth a little. My dealer got a new "enhanced" neck pickup from Taylor and solved the first problem. The technician adjusted the switch, but after another few weeks, I'm still having problems.

Regarding the first issue, curious why Taylor is sending out new 2010 model guitars with a known issue (neck pickup not balanced). I'm sure I'll get Taylor to replace the 5-way switch, but this is not Taylor quality. I have two Fenders that are over 10 years old, have been banged around the country, and never a problem.

This is my 4th Taylor guitar, so I have nothing against Taylor. Just seems that the quality of the electronics leave a little to be desired. But I love the tone, playability, etc. etc.

Anyone else having issues like this?
I have never heard of such an issue. I had a T5 when they first came out but did not play it enough to justify keeping it. Why did you keep it if it had the issue when you took delivery of it? If the issue is that pronounced, I would have taken it back.

Your best bet is to return it to the dealer or contact Taylor support directly.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 AM

It was ordered and I played it in the store prior to taking it home but did not notice the issues until after I played it a while. Anyway, they fixed the switch once and now I'm still having problems in the 3rd switch position. My dealer is definately working with me, just frustrated that it's happening to a otherwise great guitar.
1982 Martin HD-28
2000 Fender USA Tele

Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 AM
.tom the übergeek

Well, as you say, clearly not indicative of Taylor quality. If it was mine, I would contact Taylor directly, ship it back to them and get it fixed. They will make it right and do a full setup while it is there.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM

On a few T5s, I have seen switch problems. Off the rack, I have seen a few with bad switches. I think there must have been a QC problem. I have three T5s and no problem with the switches. I'm sure Taylor will replace the entire mechanism for you. I have also seen some grounding issues with the five way switch giving off some bad "hum" in the 3 and 5 positions.
Stick with it!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 PM

I have a '09 T5 Ltd, what would now be the T5 classic. I've really been enjoying it. It's been a nice bridge for me into the electric world, and it can cover down on a wide range of styles and sounds. It's also easy on the hands, and I feel like I can play it all day. However, I also have the issue with the switch in position 3. In this position, it doesn't seem grounded properly, since it kind of cuts in and out. I have to jiggle it a little to find a proper contact. I'm glad to hear that all T5's don't exhibit this problem and am going to call Taylor for a recommendation.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interociter View Post
I have a '09 T5 Ltd, what would now be the T5 classic. I've really been enjoying it. It's been a nice bridge for me into the electric world, and it can cover down on a wide range of styles and sounds. It's also easy on the hands, and I feel like I can play it all day. However, I also have the issue with the switch in position 3. In this position, it doesn't seem grounded properly, since it kind of cuts in and out. I have to jiggle it a little to find a proper contact. I'm glad to hear that all T5's don't exhibit this problem and am going to call Taylor for a recommendation.
That's exactly what mine does. My dealer is ordering a new switch for me. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
1982 Martin HD-28
2000 Fender USA Tele

Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Cool Neck Pickup?

Echuber - I have a 2006 T-5 (a sweetie, red edgeburst w/ maple top!) Standard... when I first got it, I had the same issue you had with your 'board p'up. When I got it fixed (I think they just put a different neck on my guitar), it was explained to me that the neck p'up is buried under the fretboard and is NOT adjustable, not more than a 1/32 either way... as that is my favorite sound on the guitar, I can't understand why Taylor would make it that way...

I have had no trouble with the 5 way switch, thankfully - and I love that little guitar! Has an amazingly accurate neck, all the way up and down the fretboard. Funny thing; the electronics sound so good that I prefer the guitar through a solid state amp as opposed to my '73 SF Deluxe Reverb!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 AM

Default T5 Electrical Hum and Hss problems

Hello all, new member here. I just Solved a T5 electrical problem and wanted to share. I was not disappointed in the first two switch positions of my new but used 2005 T5 classic in black. This guitar exceeded my expectations for feel and tone. My hum was loud in the middle and fifth position and all positions had a mild hss. . I knew from a previous experience when a guitar makes different levels of noise and hmm in different locations, it is most likely be a broken pickup, as it becomes an antenna for electrical fields in the air. Third and fifth position in the T5 switch pointed to the bridge pickup. When I put it in the new pickup, there was a terrible much louder noise than the existing in all five positions. So I put the old pickup back in, and was back to the original problem. After putting it down for a few hours, i decided to unplug the pickup altogether and turn on the amp. and when I did, there was no noise at all from the neck pickup. I gently wiggled the wires and plugged the old pickup right back in, and got no hmm. It is fixed. Probably bad connections in wires and the little circuit board. But I was left with the mild annoying hss . I put in the new pickup and that hss reduced significantly. So I am good to go for a while. I notice when the volume and the tone controls are up, the hss gets worse, but should be tolerable for live performance. Like most of you, I love this guitar and can't wait to test it out with or without electrical perfection. Recording will be another story. I do recommend an authorized repair center. Do it yourselfer's like me, be prepared to be wrong once in a while and eat some parts. So far i am 2 for 2. The pickup in both guitars I changed were around $60.00 ea.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM

I will jump in here but it may not apply. I have had 5 way switch issues with my Taylor Solid body classic. I am on my third repair of this issue. My switch made extremely loud static scratchy bursts when switched while playing. If I did not play and used the switch, it was dead quiet. Only while signal was going through it did it exhibit this behavior. None of my Fenders or other 5 way switches did this.

They tried the deoxit route first, then replaced the switch, then tore the replacement switch completely apart and sanded the circuit board contacts which seemed to work..... but I am starting to hear the noise again. This is a German made switch by Schaller.

So that's my story.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 07-19-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpullen View Post
Well, as you say, clearly not indicative of Taylor quality. If it was mine, I would contact Taylor directly, ship it back to them and get it fixed. They will make it right and do a full setup while it is there.
This +1.
Taylor has great customer service and they will do whatever is needed to get your T5 in shape.
BC Rich B 28 acoustic 1973
Godin A8 Mandolin
Rittenberry SD10 pedal steel guitar
Gretsch Black Falcon 2009
Fender Jazzmaster
Martin Nylon folk guitar 1962

FM9 guitar modeler

www.stevehotramusic.com
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
I will jump in here but it may not apply. I have had 5 way switch issues with my Taylor Solid body classic. I am on my third repair of this issue. My switch made extremely loud static scratchy bursts when switched while playing. If I did not play and used the switch, it was dead quiet. Only while signal was going through it did it exhibit this behavior. None of my Fenders or other 5 way switches did this.

They tried the deoxit route first, then replaced the switch, then tore the replacement switch completely apart and sanded the circuit board contacts which seemed to work..... but I am starting to hear the noise again. This is a German made switch by Schaller.

So that's my story.

Brad
I had a Solid body Standard that actually did this too. Quiet if you did not move it but would crackle pretty good if you moved it whie plugged in and playing. The guitar also was the most finicky thing I ever seen in an electric. First got it it played great. Sat in case for a few weeks take it out and buzzes ( strings) lower frets when strumming. Well I adjust bridge get it corrected put back in case a couple more weeks-- same thing. Now adjust relief more than I care for. then two weeks later. same thing. Finally said enough. Sold it and now have a Les Paul Studio and plays like a dream-- also no noise when switching etc.

I had played a used T5 at a guitar shop to test drive and it had the same switch problem descibed here. Love Taylor acoustics-- electrics-- not so much.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Default T5 Elecrical - not fixed yet

The fix I shared didn't last long...

Wednsday - Changed the pickup, noise fixed, almost all gone but acceptable low hss.
Thursday - Played with other amped guitars in the same room , noise was back, we were all disturbed at the noise level.
Saturday 10am - Plugged in today to test a new battery amp, noise is fixed again but with low level hss.
Saturday 11am - Tried the fender frontman 25 to create a louder clean sound, and the T5 is totally silent of noise in all switch positions.

Could be a bucking of the pre amp on the guitar with the effects on the Boss amp, the fender has no effects.

Later today I will try my pedals with the fender to see what I get.

Don't like this mystery at all. Looks like the T5 can't go to a gig without a backup.

All my other guitars are silent or have low acceptable noise, so it's not my rig alone.
Taylor 810 2005 w/Fishman Matrix Infinity
Taylor 110 2003 w/Fishman Matrix Infinity
Taylor T5 2005 Black Classic
Ovation 1970 Custom Balladeer soon to have matrix PU
Washburn Festival Series 1997 Black elec/acou cutaway
Washburn 1997 electric Strat Style
Fender Clasical 6 string
Yamaha 4 string bass duel pickup
Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 AM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafc41 View Post
The fix I shared didn't last long...

Wednsday - Changed the pickup, noise fixed, almost all gone but acceptable low hss.
Thursday - Played with other amped guitars in the same room , noise was back, we were all disturbed at the noise level.
Saturday 10am - Plugged in today to test a new battery amp, noise is fixed again but with low level hss.
Saturday 11am - Tried the fender frontman 25 to create a louder clean sound, and the T5 is totally silent of noise in all switch positions.
are you turning the guitar volume and treble up when playing with others because you WILL get hiss that way. You have a preamp...they do that. I try to get my T5-playing guitarist to run his guitar at flat on all 3 knobs and use the amp to get the volume he needs. This gives a good flat signal to the mixing board too. All is at unity gain and there is little to no hiss even with lots of other gear, lights, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars