The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2003, 06:50 PM

Default Fret end filing

After 4 years w/ my Les Paul Studio, the fret ends seems to be protruding from the ends. Very slightly, but enough for me to feel it if I slide up and down the neck. Nothing major, but it is a little annoying and uncomfortable feel.

Here is my issue. If I get the ends filed down, will it harm the nitrocellulose lacquer that is there? I mean they would have to file it down smooth and even w/ the neck. How do they keep it from marring the wood itself? Is the file a luthier uses that thin and small? If they did "damage" the wood, do they refinish it w/ the same lacquer? Am I outta luck and have to deal w/ this?

Last edited by Ninjato; 12-12-2003 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:02 PM

Just have the ends filed down....if you're really playing the guitar, the finish is worn anyway.

This is a natural occurrence as the wood dries and shrinks.

Yes, it can be refinned, but if I were you, I'd just get the work done, and then play the **** out of it....

Last edited by Bob Womack; 12-20-2003 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:17 PM

It is not a natural occurance, the guitar is obviously dry as a bone..... get some humidity to it and see how it feels in a week or more

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification