The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-30-2014, 02:06 PM

Default iRig

Anybody use one of these? Sound good? What I want to be able to do is play through headphones along with backing tracks. Currently I do this now through a Fender Frontman 25r using the headphone jack and the RCA line in from my computer to play the backing tracks. Would prefer something more compact as I never use the Frontman for anything else.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:40 PM

I've got one; I use it to play through my iPad. Works quite well.

However.... I had trouble with the suggested App...Which I believe was "Amplitude"...
Noisy, cut out a lot... Not good.

I installed "Ampkit", and it works much better. Even has a nice little noise-gate feature.
Like most of these, you have to pay to get extra amp effects and pedals and such, but I'm just running the "clean" settings so free is fine.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I've got one; I use it to play through my iPad. Works quite well.

However.... I had trouble with the suggested App...Which I believe was "Amplitude"...
Noisy, cut out a lot... Not good.

I installed "Ampkit", and it works much better. Even has a nice little noise-gate feature.
Like most of these, you have to pay to get extra amp effects and pedals and such, but I'm just running the "clean" settings so free is fine.
Funny, I have had no problems with Amplitude. I actually think the models for Fender and Vox are quite good, not so big on the other ones. The pedal effects are quite acceptable, and by playing around with different cabinets and different mice I can easily find some fun tones. Never recorded or played out to real cabinets, don't need to but I would bet it could get both done reasonably well. Might not excite a player, but audiences, for the most part are usually clueless.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 PM

I would look at irig hd which uses usb, std apple 30 pin, or apple lightning connector for the input. It's much less noisier than the original irig that used the headphone jack for both input/output.

Chris
Old 08-30-2014, 10:17 PM

I recently auditioned for a band where the guitarist was using iRig. I won't bash the product based on his tone, but it had that saturated, super processed, and compressed sound.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:46 AM

I have a used irig pro HD if your interested... I'm less mobile and bought stuff for home
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremca View Post
I would look at irig hd which uses usb, std apple 30 pin, or apple lightning connector for the input. It's much less noisier than the original irig that used the headphone jack for both input/output.

Chris
Hi Chris...

I agree with this. I have a headphone model, and while it works with any iOS device regardless of charging connectors, it is noisy. Fun to mess with in the RV, but it would never go on stage with me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Chris...

I agree with this. I have a headphone model, and while it works with any iOS device regardless of charging connectors, it is noisy. Fun to mess with in the RV, but it would never go on stage with me.

What ljguitar said! However it is fun to use on a couch or hotel bed without bothering anyone else. While playing with the amps and pedals in GarageBand in the iPad Mini I have to be careful to not start duck-walking across the floor when channeling Angus ;-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars