The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Sub for Fishstick?

Just bought another Fishman SA220 and love it. Had one several years ago and loved that one too, but I thought I was done gigging acoustic so I sold it.

Anyways... have always wanted to add a powered sub to the Fishstick to give it a little thump on the bottom. I've poured over Sweetwater's studio monitor --> subs section and I think this is my favorite sub. I've got a buddy who's also got a Fishstick and we're thinking about doing a live duo or trio using both of our SA220s... and I'm thinking that this sub would really kill for that application. Anyone use a sub with their Fishstick?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TemblorT10
Old 11-26-2015, 11:20 PM

For the modest output volume that the SA220 has, the Temblor T10 does indeed look like it could be a good fit, especially since it has a low pass filter and it has versatile connectivity features.

I'm sure that it sounds really good, too, as long as you don't need a lot of oomph - since at 113dB max., it won't get nearly as loud as a live sound sub, even those at the lower end of the price range. And at 40 lbs, it's not light, either, for a very small, modest output powered sub, since it uses class AB power and the cabinet is MDF (particleboard).

MDF is a very inert cabinet material (which is good). BUT, it is very easily damaged by rain, beer, etc., and by hard knocks, as well.

This Presonus sub should sound very good within its modest output range - but keep in mind that this sub is designed for very small spaces, and it is not designed to be portable.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:41 AM

You might be better off with a sub designed for live work. What about an Electro-Voice ZXA1-Sub:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ered-subwoofer

Since the Fishman has modest low-end output, you might be able to get by without a crossover, although that's something you might also want to look into to do this right.

Louis
Old 11-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I already have a full 24-channel Alto PA with 1X12+horn powered mains, sitting on top of 15" powered subs. I'm looking for something much smaller and lighter, yet that has enough punch. I've also looked at some 8" subs in the studio monitors section, but fear that they won't be quite powerful enough. I also want XLR ins, so I can just run out of the XLR monitor out of my Fishstick. Right now, the two subs that have my biggest interest are the Prosonus, and [believe it or not] the Behringer Nekkst with the 10" woofer. The price is right and I'm sure there's plenty of thump.

I just need something to add just a hint of bottom for acoustic gigs that could use it. I think that most powered live PA subs would be total overkill... not to mention the weight of them. My 15" subs are pretty heavy, and I would imagine that 12" subs would be similarly heavy (and larger than I want as well). I looked at the Bose subs for their L1/L2 systems... but from what I could see they looked to be pretty proprietary and less easy to just plug&play with other systems.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I already have a full 24-channel Alto PA with 1X12+horn powered mains, sitting on top of 15" powered subs. I'm looking for something much smaller and lighter, yet that has enough punch. I've also looked at some 8" subs in the studio monitors section, but fear that they won't be quite powerful enough. I also want XLR ins, so I can just run out of the XLR monitor out of my Fishstick. Right now, the two subs that have my biggest interest are the Prosonus, and [believe it or not] the Behringer Nekkst with the 10" woofer. The price is right and I'm sure there's plenty of thump.

I just need something to add just a hint of bottom for acoustic gigs that could use it. I think that most powered live PA subs would be total overkill... not to mention the weight of them. My 15" subs are pretty heavy, and I would imagine that 12" subs would be similarly heavy (and larger than I want as well). I looked at the Bose subs for their L1/L2 systems... but from what I could see they looked to be pretty proprietary and less easy to just plug&play with other systems.
For what it's worth, the ZXa1-Sub is pretty close in size and weight to the one you asked about. And as I said, it's designed for live work. I use one or a pair to add a little bottom to my band's PA (an acoustic ethnic music ensemble--the mains are 10" powered RCF speakers--310a--they work OK without, but even better with an active crossover--I use a DBX 223xs). I think it's a more appropriate solution for your situation than a studio monitor sub.

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 11-27-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:26 PM

Yes, the Bose bass cab is an unpowered proprietary design, which connects to their power stand, so that's not what you want with an SA220.

The PreSonus that you are considering would most likely sound better than the Bose, as well, which I believe are bandpass designs. Bandpass subs tend to be less even and articulate (one-notey) than a ported reflex design like the PreSonus.

As far as output goes, the PreSonus would have a bit more oomph and would go deeper than a B1, and less output than a B2.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
For what it's worth, the ZXa1-Sub is pretty close in size and weight to the one you asked about. And as I said, it's designed for live work. I use one or a pair to add a little bottom to my band's PA (an acoustic ethnic music ensemble--the mains are 10" powered RCF speakers--310a--they work OK without, but even better with an active crossover--I use a DBX 223xs). I think it's a more appropriate solution for your situation than a studio monitor sub.

Louis

Hmmm... when I first looked at it, I dismissed it as too big and heavy. But upon second look that weight is only 5-6# more than the Presonus. I'll bet it's a bit bigger, but maybe not as much as I'd assumed. Will poke around and take a deeper look at them. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Yes, the Bose bass cab is an unpowered proprietary design, which connects to their power stand, so that's not what you want with an SA220.

The PreSonus that you are considering would most likely sound better than the Bose, as well, which I believe are bandpass designs. Bandpass subs tend to be less even and articulate (one-notey) than a ported reflex design like the PreSonus.

As far as output goes, the PreSonus would have a bit more oomph and would go deeper than a B1, and less output than a B2.
Great info. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Hmmm... when I first looked at it, I dismissed it as too big and heavy. But upon second look that weight is only 5-6# more than the Presonus. I'll bet it's a bit bigger, but maybe not as much as I'd assumed. Will poke around and take a deeper look at them. Thanks!
Just a few inches bigger:

Height 15.75"
Width 17.5"
Depth 18"

Same height, about 5" wider and about 2.25" deeper.

Worth some consideration.

Louis
Old 11-27-2015, 05:57 PM

I have two of the EV subs that I use with RCF 312 tops. They keep up pretty well ... plenty of thump for lower volume small-medium room situations. One will complement the Fishman with no problem. I've used them without crossovers and they do fine, but better crossed over. One sub and one top, crossed over, make a great bass amp. I got one of the subs on a scratch n dent deal for about $400. Works great.

You'll need a cover. They scratch up easily. Has handles on both sides and pretty easy to carry around unless you have a physical problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification