The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2015, 05:10 PM

Default The Anthem SL???

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the LR Baggs Anthem SL?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Used one for a couple years, and liked it very much. Had I not sold the guitar it was in, I'd still be using it. It's a fantastic system!
Old 11-30-2015, 06:06 PM

My favorite plug n play pickup system.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 PM

I use the Anthem (full version). I really like it a lot. The Baggs forum moderator/tech says the SL version is his favorite. If I were to do it again, I would probably get the SL version.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

I've had the Anthem SL in both my Mark Angus 6 and 12 string acoustics for 5 years now? Close to ti, I'm thinking, if not longer. I got them right after the pickup was put on the market...

I spoke with the tech at Baggs before I bought them, as they aren't cheap, even with the SL being $100 less than the "Full" version. I decided on the SL for a couple rasons; one, I just could not see putting that huge control unit of the Full Anthem on the soundboard of my guitar... and 2) I really don't need the additional capabilities that the Full offers over the SL.

I'm glad I have them... had trouble with the one in my 6 string and Baggs replaced the entire unit very promptly, even though it was "out of warranty"... great customer service!

The Anthem SL replaced the Fishman Matrix Natural USTs that were in my Angus guitars, and I immediately noticed how much more dynamic the Anthem is by comparison. It also sounds more "real", very much like the guitar in which it is installed... not precisely, but darned close.

Brian, the tech at Baggs, told me to take care to set the balance between the True-Mic and the Element, and to dial it in for whatever system I'm using. I have found that the same setting works for both my Bose L1 system and my AER Compact 60/2, so I just set it and forget it! The adjustment is made by a small set screw, recessed in the control module; that allows you to choose "how much" of the UST you want in the output. With the SL version, the UST ONLY reproduces frequencies under 250 hz (although there is some bleed-thru - it's not an abrupt shelving thing),, and I have found very little, if any, "quack" when it's only doing the bass notes.

I did notice that through other systems I would want to recalibrate the thing, though...

Really, the only negative I could mention is that, when installed in a guitar which I have owned and played EXTENSIVELY for over 30 years, I felt it had a noticeable impact on the tone and volume of the guitar... after about 6-8 months, I felt that the volume came back, pretty much all the way, but the tone seems to be evened-out still, after all these years. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I noticed it and didn't like it at first. I'm speaking of playing the guitar acoustically now... I could see where installing it in a guitar with which you are not all that familiar would not be nearly as noticeable. Certainly, if you just bought the guitar and it came with it, you wouldn't notice a thing, would you?

For a "plug in and play" system without external preamps and eq's, I think it's the best bet out there at the moment, both for price and sound. If your guitar already has a UST in it, you might be able to get your tech to lower the install price; mine did, when I pointed out that he really didn't have to do any drilling of consequence...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 AM

I've had my Anthem SL for a couple of months now. I was looking for a pickup system that would faithfully reproduce my Larrivee's acoustic tone amplified.
I did extensive research and spent a lot of time reading about various acoustic pickups and listening to You Tube videos. I spoke to several manufacturers as well. In the end, after a conversation with one of L.R. Baggs customer service people and based on what I wanted in an acoustic pickup, I bought the SL.
Personally, I love this pickup. It does reproduce my guitar's tone. It is simple to use, unobtrusive and the UST and microphone combination is as advertised.
I would caution anyone looking to purchase this pickup that unless you have experience installing pickups to have someone who does put it in for you.
It isn't overly difficult to install if you follow the instructions carefully, but I was lucky enought to know a local guy who has put them in before and he knew exactly how to do it correctly. A friend of mine also went with the SL upon listening to mine and he is very happy as well. In the end, I would offer that it really comes down to what you want the pickup to do. A lot of folks like other brands and styles of pickups for a variety of reasons, mostly coming down to personal taste and some very subjective needs.
I give it an A+
Old 12-01-2015, 08:03 AM

I have had an SL in my HD28 until recently. I just did a gig with a full band and had feedback issues, so I have switched to the full version, which allows you to only use the full range ust in circumstances that call for it. I'm kind of surprised that I like the sound of the ust - it's different from the combo of mic and ust - but very useable.

The control panel doesn't weigh that much, can't see it affecting tone as much as my right arm resting on the guitar while I play.

Best...H
Old 12-01-2015, 08:10 AM

Feedback issues can be a concern with the microphone in a SL, but if you use a good DI with a notch filter, that can be eliminated pretty much.
As I said in my earlier post, a lot depends on what your needs are.
If I were playing in a loud band, I probably would have opted for the Anthem as it is more versatile.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:52 AM

This was indeed a rather loud band, and the feedback depended on where I was standing in relation to the floor wedges. It wasn't crazy, but I had a choice of hearing what I was doing WITH feedback and playing from memory WITHOUT feedback. With in ears it would have been no problem.

FOH sounded great; the feedback was all on stage. Like I say, the ust alone is a totally viable sound, esp in the context of a loud stage.

Best...H
Old 12-01-2015, 02:12 PM

Not to hijack, but I'm just curious:
To those of you that have an SL, how hot do you set the Tru-Mic relative
to the UST? I find I have the True-Mic level set pretty low in my J-45,
which is a pretty bassy guitar.

I realize it's going to vary if you play through widely different systems, but there
should be general trend.

More on topic the SL sounds really good though.
I run it through a Baggs Session and it gets nice and beefy.

_Roger
Old 12-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Roger,

The output of the UST will vary with mechanical factors such as the angle of the saddle and the amount of saddle above and below the top of the saddle slot. The mic level needs to be widely adjustable in order to balance its output with a range of possible UST levels.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Plus, there is nothing on or near that little set screw that adjusts the mic vs. UST, so it would be very difficult to give any sort of cogent response... but I believe I have my 6 string set around 50-50, and the 12 string is more like 40% mic vs. 60% UST...

One thing to know about either Anthem system: DO NOT USE SHIMS to get your saddle height correct... cut a new saddle if you have to.

Anthems DO NOT work worth a darn with a shim in there! I found this out the hard way... trust me!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-01-2015, 05:50 PM

If you want both microphone and UST adjustment, get the Anthem not the SL.
The SL gives you 250 Hz and below with the UST and that's it. You can tweak the microphone output, but depending on the guitar, feedback can creep into the picture with too much microphone. When I put about 15% more microphone in mine, I got feedback on my open A string. Not a ton, but it was there. I EQ'd it out with my amp and you could do the same with a DI with EQ .
I still think it's the best system for reproduction of your guitar's natural acoustic tone amplified.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:38 PM

I play in a fairly energetic celtic group in loud bars/pubs (200-300 people) and recently tried the Lyric in my main guitar. My UST died and I needed a quick solution and had one lying around. I will admit that I was very worried about feedback but surprisingly, I never had any issues. I was using two 15" speaker monitors and they were quite loud. I have wanted to try the SL for quite some time but was worried about feedback. My experience with the Lyric kind of changed my mind and I think if you are careful, the SL should work for even louder situations.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I play in a fairly energetic celtic group in loud bars/pubs (200-300 people) and recently tried the Lyric in my main guitar. My UST died and I needed a quick solution and had one lying around. I will admit that I was very worried about feedback but surprisingly, I never had any issues. I was using two 15" speaker monitors and they were quite loud. I have wanted to try the SL for quite some time but was worried about feedback. My experience with the Lyric kind of changed my mind and I think if you are careful, the SL should work for even louder situations.

The beauty of the SL is that UST. Gives you some great punch in the lower freqencies where it matters most.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification