The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 PM

Default Banjo Noob- I've got $300

I don't know a whole lot about banjo, other than I want to play one. I'm an experienced guitarist and play mondolin, but none of my gear is top notch. I'm looking for recommendations for $300 and under. Thats my limit. Can I get a decent learning banjo on $300? What would you recommend?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM

What style do you want to play?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 PM

Start looking for a used Deering Goodtime model banjo - they're decent, American-made banjos that sound good and play well.

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist and on the classified ad sections of this and other online guitar forums. One way I've found a number of offbeat instruments has been to post asking if anyone has one they'd like to sell: a number of people will buy banjos (or dulcimers or mandolins) thinking they'll learn to play, but never do. They might not have bestirred themselves to getting around to offering it for sale, but if you write and say: "Hey, I'm looking for one of these," they might just contact you and say: "I've got one."

That's how I got my Deering guitar-banjo, and that's how I got a really nice hammered dulcimer for my cousin. So don't be afraid to ask.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Thanks guys. I'd like to play like Earl Scruggs... hehe.

Really I'm just interested in a 5 string banjo I can play bluegrass and folk music on.

Didn't take me long to get decent at mandolin, so I figured while I'm at it I'll up the ante and go for a banjo.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 PM

I know next to nothing about banjos - I'm a guitarist, but I would like one to noodle on, and I know I'd like an open backed rather than a resonator banjo. The one that keeps rising to the surface for me when I look into relatively cheap, open backed banjos is the deering goodtime. I have played a few in stores and they seem pretty good to me, as a banjo noob. For bluegrass, though, you'll probably want a resonator banjo. Folkies tend to use the open back variety.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Start looking for a used Deering Goodtime model banjo - they're decent, American-made banjos that sound good and play well.

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist and on the classified ad sections of this and other online guitar forums. One way I've found a number of offbeat instruments has been to post asking if anyone has one they'd like to sell: a number of people will buy banjos (or dulcimers or mandolins) thinking they'll learn to play, but never do. They might not have bestirred themselves to getting around to offering it for sale, but if you write and say: "Hey, I'm looking for one of these," they might just contact you and say: "I've got one."

That's how I got my Deering guitar-banjo, and that's how I got a really nice hammered dulcimer for my cousin. So don't be afraid to ask.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I did some research into banjos last month and read a lot of threads on the banjo hangout forum (lots of action there). A used Deering Goodtime is at/near the top of the list at that price range.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 AM

I also vote for a Deering Goodtime Banjo ... quality where it counts in a no frills instrument ... I started playing Bluegrass in my early teens, mostly as a guitar player but learned mandolin and banjo as well ... about 7 years ago, I bought a nice, lower priced imported banjo with resonator and tone ring ... very heavy and loud ... but I sold it to finance a Taylor acoustic ...

I missed the banjo more than I thought I would ... so, I wound up getting a Deering Goodtime open back ... I have to say that the Deering plays and feels even better than my previous banjo ... what surprised me more than the playability is the tone ... the open back is really nice sounding and fits better with my current style of playing which is somewhere between Folk and Bluegrass ...

New, the Deering is going to run ~4 bills ... but I see these and the ones with resonators used all the time ... be careful though ... a lot of times people's asking prices are too close to new ... be ready to offer a resonable used price or save about 100 more and go new ... I got mine new with a discount coupon which put it just over 3 bills ...

Good luck.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:21 PM

I know nothing, repeat, nothing about banjos. So take this with a grain of salt....

I remember seeing banjos in this price range through feedback from a place I bought my kids their 1/4 size nylon string guitars. Everyone seamed to be happy with the banjos. This guy does a complete set-up on all the banjos and sells them with case.

Watch this video and he goes over his three models.
http://www.guitarworksinc.net/STORE/...productid=1572

here are the three models, they come with case:

GWBJ-1 $299

GWBJ-2 $369
GWBJ-3 $599

Like I said, I know nothing, but I seen this thread and I remembered, so I figured I would put it out there for your consideration.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Banjo Noob- I've got $300

I like the Goodtime banjos and own one myself. Another good option is the Gold Tone Cripple Creek.

Todd
Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache79 View Post
Thanks guys. I'd like to play like Earl Scruggs... hehe.

Really I'm just interested in a 5 string banjo I can play bluegrass and folk music on.
First of all, I would say that the two styles require two different banjos: bluegrass needing a banjo with a resonator and folk banjo requiring an open-back. The recommendations for Deering banjos are a good place to start.
Go for simple dot-inlay ornamentation to start and then figure out how serious you are about it... because you can spend thousands of dollars on a good banjo -- they're more expensive than guitars.
In spite of your wanting to start out on Scruggs style, that's difficult. It's like starting out trying to learn Travis-picking right away -- a tall order. My advice is to start with the basics and Pete Seeger's "How to Play the 5-String Banjo." That will give you the folk basics, and it's important to learn, since much of what you do with your right hand on banjo is opposed to what you're used to doing with your right hand with guitar. Once you've got a mastery of Pete's lessons on "double-thumbing," then it's time to tackle Scruggs style. It will come a lot easier to you then.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks all. Seems an opend back like the Deering Goodtime is right up my alley. It's just $100 more than I have right now. Might look into a used one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments