The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-21-2024, 08:15 AM

Default New Guitar - buzzing

I hope this is posted in correct thread..

Would love any help or advice on the below!

So I bought a new acoustic guitar a few months ago brand new from a very reputable shop. It’s a nice guitar from a classic maker, one of their signature models.

Its been hydrated in humidified room, and stored in a case with the humidity packs.

Ive played it a good bit. After three weeks, the D string starts buzzing. On bridge. Buzz happens on chord transitions from a fretted note to an open note chord IE a C to G chord transition. The D also buzzes when a single note is Fretted (and picked aggressively on the 4th and 5th). changed the strings a few times, etc. no difference.

This guitar shop is fabulous and they offer a free plek. So I take it back to get the plek and they believe that will solve it.

So when I pick it up, I played it in the shop and it doesn’t buzz. A continue to play the guitar alot at home starts buzzing again.

I take it back to the shop and one of the guys starts messing with neck, action etc. noting that he believes “something shifted” since plek. He adjusts it back. These tweeks produce a variety of results, like the D stops buzzing but the G will buzz when fretted on 5th and 6th.

We go back and forth forth for a while, he keeps tweaking and adjusting etc. i am no luthier but the guy messing with it certainly was no rookie, he clearly had been doing this for a while.

But ultimately he keeps looking to me to be like, is it fixed/ are you happy? And i make it buzz and hand it back to him. He wasnt being “defensive” per say, none of this was his fault. But would say things like, well the strings are new or that i was over accentuating the note, or “all guitars buzz” etc. well the strings had probably 10+ hours on them- that they installed during plek. and i am not crazy, and having played acoustic guitars for 25 years the string shouldn’t “noticeable” buzz when just strumming some basic chords at a normal attack- even when im not trying to “make it buzz.”

So it had been plek’d and all the frets and nut where perfect, same with action so it was a standstill. And he ended up setting it up to factory specs and I left. And kinda left me with this “let the strings break in and stop letting the buzz get in your head” narrative.

Kinda awkward. Another week has gone by, new new strings on, guitar still buzzing on the D string? . I am trying my best to ensure i fret the chords absolutely perfectly and trying not to over attack the strumming.

So what do i do? This shop had other techs milling about / not getting involved and if i had to guess all of them have rather extensive experience fixing up guitars.

Should i take it back in and ask for another guys opinion? Ackward. Or Should i have them relook at the “plek” specs?

Should i take it to another shop?

This is a very nice guitar and my gut tells me its not just me .. on this issue?

Thoughts / advice ??
Old 02-21-2024, 10:05 AM

I think if you post this in the general acoustic guitar forum as you'll get a much better response and a load of suggestions to try. Appears to me that all the other categories are a bit of a graveyard compared to the general one. Might be helpful if you named the make and model of guitar too as you're going to get asked that.
Hope you get it sorted.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:59 PM

Thanks bud
Old 02-21-2024, 05:00 PM

Has anybody else played the instrument? And???
Old 02-21-2024, 06:38 PM

If you can accurately measure your action (bottom of string to top of fret 12) in 64th” it will be informative. That does nothing to address why it started or stopped but if it is in that “as low as you can go zone”, buzz will never be far away and humidity, you, background noise and every other thing that could exacerbate buzz will be waiting for a chance to do it.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:30 PM

Default a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
If you can accurately measure your action (bottom of string to top of fret 12) in 64th” it will be informative. That does nothing to address why it started or stopped but if it is in that “as low as you can go zone”, buzz will never be far away and humidity, you, background noise and every other thing that could exacerbate buzz will be waiting for a chance to do it.
This is an articulate version of my comment above. If the adjustments brought the action down to the lowest string height before buzzing set in while it was being gently played and the owner thrashes (my technical term) the strings, it may well buzz.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair