The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2023, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Default I don't get Pre War Guitars

They look just like Martins. Seem to copy everything about them. They come with a pre-worn option, which is a bizarre thing that I don't understand. They even have the little company stamp logo on the back of the headstock like Martins. I don't get it. Also, shouldn't it be against the law to sell a product that copies another in almost every way? Don't get me wrong, I love boutique guitars, small business, etc. , but come one , make something original.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:59 PM
Guest 33123

Let me be frank: A significant portion of the acoustic guitar industry has ridden on Martin's coattails for a very long time.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
They look just like Martins. Seem to copy everything about them. They come with a pre-worn option, which is a bizarre thing that I don't understand. They even have the little company stamp logo on the back of the headstock like Martins. I don't get it. Also, shouldn't it be against the law to sell a product that copies another in almost every way? Don't get me wrong, I love boutique guitars, small business, etc. , but come one , make something original.
LOL! No offense intended but with some humor, I notice that you have, among other guitars, an Eastman and a H&D, both of which also copy Martins.... You voted with your pocket book just as others vote with theirs for PreWars.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

"Original" doesn't sell. Most of the guitar buying community wants guitars that look like Gibsons and Martins.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

You may not get them but it seems with an over two year backlog a lot of people do. A lot of great builders run with what Martin brought to the table. Tweak this...change that...and call it ______.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-17-2023, 03:28 PM

Have you even played one? Maybe they take what Martin has done and improve on it. Plenty other manufacturers to do the same thing. For example Kopp guitars take what Gibson does and improves on it. And the pre-worn look is more of an aesthetic. Some people like the way an old guitar looks. Just because you don’t get it, doesn’t mean other people might.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I thought it was a gimmick when I first heard of them. Then I played one... Very nice guitars that definitely capture the old Martin vibe and sound. There's a reason they're back-ordered.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Uh, guys, re-read rollypolly's post. He's poking fun! He's saying those pre-war Martins look just like (contemporary) Martins!
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 01-17-2023, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I stopped by the Fretboard Journal offices a few years back and they had a Pre War sunburst D18 and holy crap did that thing sound incredible. Probably the best "relic" job both visually and sonically I've ever seen. It felt more realistically old and worn in that if you'd have told me it was a legit 40s guitar, I would have for sure believed you.

The relic thing isn't for everyone, but I'd kinda rather put my money into something with nicks and scratches so I wouldn't be afraid to give it my own nicks and scratches, so I am sorta in favor of it.

As for the "copy" of the Martin design...man, if you couldn't copy designs in this business, there would be so few guitar companies and guitars in the world.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:52 PM

If you really have a hanker’n for a 30’s D- or OM but don’t have $50k to throw around, they might be the ticket. They are no more expensive than Collings, H&D or a Martin -A. There are a lot of stellar players that use them as their main axe or as a personal instrument. M.Tuttle, Mandolin Orange/Watchhouse, D.Grisman, Tommy Emmanuel…. I have never played one but have spoken to those that have and I trust and they were smitten. No more than distress level 1 for me though.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFL Steve View Post
Uh, guys, re-read rollypolly's post. He's poking fun! He's saying those pre-war Martins look just like (contemporary) Martins!
Beg to differ... he seems to be talking about Pre-War Guitar Co., not actual pre-war Martins.

If there's fun being poked here, I just don't see it. But, I've been called a stick-in-the-mud more than once, so...

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-17-2023, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

I do get them. I ordered a 000-18. Have played several. All outstanding instruments. Very excited to get mine (in a year)
Old 01-17-2023, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFL Steve View Post
I think this is what he is talking about.

https://www.pre-warguitars.com/

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-17-2023, 04:37 PM

I’m not going to jump up on my high horse about this. But the OP does make me wonder why someone would buy a brand new guitar that is all beat up on purpose. Sure, it might be brand new under the hood but the relic job doesn’t buy you street creed in my book. And let’s not overlook the huge bucks Fender gets for their manufactured relics.

Disclosure-I am a die Hard Martin guy and have a D-18, D-28vs and an OM-28. I’ve never played a Pre-War Co. Guitar. I’ve heard many say there are great sounding.

Final thought? I am NOT judging anyone…I just don’t get it.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:48 PM

I own two, an 0-18 Mahogany and an 0-28 Brazilian .. as well as an original 1942 000-21 and a 1943 00-18. Believe me, I get it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion